If the DCI organization went away???

Yeah. Colossal failure in comparison to most every educational institution or church institution that I've ever been part of that's instituted actual training and reporting protocols.

Distressing as heck.

So sorry this happened to you, it never should have in the first place and you should have had somewhere clear to turn when it did.

That you did not is a glaring example of what is wrong in the activity.

I"m ready to say "any corps that doesn't have clear training, independent neutral reporting, and accountablity for reporting laid out, is off the tour."  DCI doesn't have the balls for that though cause... it'd apparently mean too many corps off the tour ... or so it seems. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just to add: if the members are not told how to report or who to report to then everything else is useless.  
And if the way to report is a form on a ####### web site? When the hell is DCI going to put some effort into this? 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Why does it always seem these kids go to the Internet instead of the police?  This person sounds emotionally troubled and, thus, an easy target for predators.  I feel for her/him(?).

Often times victims fear the police because there has been proven history of police siding with the accused. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, neonjvlivs said:

i am not white and trans, i did not feel safe going to the police in the states these incidents occurred in, especially in a corps that is mormon based and 95% white. at the end of the day, this is not on me! i did what i thought was the best decision which was going to my corps director, and at the end of the day, it wasn’t resolved. i am not “emotionally troubled” for having people take advantage of me, my trust, and my body. this activity has a major issue with blaming victims.

Bless you. Stay strong 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Galen said:

What would even make you think that's an appropriate thing to say here???

Well given their posting history…..

5 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

The touring aspect highlights the need for "exactly how do I report" and "what are my legal and ethical responsiblities if someone reports to me (mandated reporting)" training all around.  I mean, these are standard parts of training.   But they're also often some of the most complicated, even if in a single jurisdiction. 

That this STILL hasn't been implemented well...ugh.

Inmates running the asylum 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just to add: if the members are not told how to report or who to report to then everything else is useless.  
And if the way to report is a form on a ####### web site? When the hell is DCI going to put some effort into this? 

A form on the corps website became the standard action/response in 2018 after the Hopkins incident came to light.  Pretty much every corps added one on their website in either 2018 or 2019.  It's really no different than the official "Ethics and Compliance Reporting" page on the DCI website:

https://www.dci.org/static/ethics-and-compliance-reporting

Every corps set up the handing of those form submissions differently.  One corps I'm familiar with had those form submissions set up to go to several board members, as well as the corps' legal firm.  The thought was it would reduce the odds of something falling through the cracks or getting swept under the rug if multiple people received them. 

The board member I'm closest with actually had a special alert set up on their phone that would sound 24/7 if someone submitted one of those forms.  They recognized that members might be inclined to submit the form late night while traveling on the bus, and wanted to make sure that a problem could be addressed as quickly as possible regardless of time of day. 

Unfortunately, there's no way to tell if every corps took those forms that seriously.  In fact, I know from talking to others that some corps' ethics forms became "complaint" forms where members reported trivial items (ex. they were promised dino nuggets for dinner... but didn't get them).  That type of misuse of the forms could have potentially reduced their overall efficacy if the recipients/handlers became dismissive to new submissions.

• Thanks 3