If the DCI organization went away???

7 hours ago, rjohn76 said:

A form on the corps website became the standard action/response in 2018 after the Hopkins incident came to light.  Pretty much every corps added one on their website in either 2018 or 2019.  It's really no different than the official "Ethics and Compliance Reporting" page on the DCI website:

https://www.dci.org/static/ethics-and-compliance-reporting

Every corps set up the handing of those form submissions differently.  One corps I'm familiar with had those form submissions set up to go to several board members, as well as the corps' legal firm.  The thought was it would reduce the odds of something falling through the cracks or getting swept under the rug if multiple people received them. 

The board member I'm closest with actually had a special alert set up on their phone that would sound 24/7 if someone submitted one of those forms.  They recognized that members might be inclined to submit the form late night while traveling on the bus, and wanted to make sure that a problem could be addressed as quickly as possible regardless of time of day. 

Unfortunately, there's no way to tell if every corps took those forms that seriously.  In fact, I know from talking to others that some corps' ethics forms became "complaint" forms where members reported trivial items (ex. they were promised dino nuggets for dinner... but didn't get them).  That type of misuse of the forms could have potentially reduced their overall efficacy if the recipients/handlers became dismissive to new submissions.

Of course the next (unanswerable) question is what happens after DCI receives a form. Starting to think the real breakdown is occurring here. Also trying to think if we ever heard DCI taking action before allegations hit the web. Someone asked why members go to the web, might be because the regular channels failed and going to web is last resort.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, rjohn76 said:

Unfortunately, there's no way to tell if every corps took those forms that seriously.  In fact, I know from talking to others that some corps' ethics forms became "complaint" forms where members reported trivial items (ex. they were promised dino nuggets for dinner... but didn't get them).  That type of misuse of the forms could have potentially reduced their overall efficacy if the recipients/handlers became dismissive to new submissions.

Kinda reminds me of the suggestion box with no bottom positioned above a paper shredder.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Who are you told to report to and is there a secondary person if you don’t feel comfortable going to the primary person? 
Just confused by “report thru the whistleblower”. Not sure who or what whistleblower in this case means.

At what point do we go over to Battalion's Facebook page and start asking the questions there?  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rjohn76 said:

A form on the corps website became the standard action/response in 2018 after the Hopkins incident came to light.  Pretty much every corps added one on their website in either 2018 or 2019.  It's really no different than the official "Ethics and Compliance Reporting" page on the DCI website:

https://www.dci.org/static/ethics-and-compliance-reporting

Every corps set up the handing of those form submissions differently.  One corps I'm familiar with had those form submissions set up to go to several board members, as well as the corps' legal firm.  The thought was it would reduce the odds of something falling through the cracks or getting swept under the rug if multiple people received them. 

The board member I'm closest with actually had a special alert set up on their phone that would sound 24/7 if someone submitted one of those forms.  They recognized that members might be inclined to submit the form late night while traveling on the bus, and wanted to make sure that a problem could be addressed as quickly as possible regardless of time of day. 

I'm digging into my 2018 memories here, but I think we were actually required by DCI to add a compliance reporting form.  Or it might have been promoted as a best practice.  Either way, it's a good idea.  We had ours set up to go to our compliance officer (me) and our director, to make sure we didn't miss it.  I want to say we got 2 or three submissions in two years, and definitely were not frivolous.  

Mike

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I'm digging into my 2018 memories here, but I think we were actually required by DCI to add a compliance reporting form.  Or it might have been promoted as a best practice.  Either way, it's a good idea.  We had ours set up to go to our compliance officer (me) and our director, to make sure we didn't miss it.  I want to say we got 2 or three submissions in two years, and definitely were not frivolous.  

Mike

So I would hope you promptly looked into it & took necessary action.  

When the process works the way it is supposed to we don’t hear about it.   I wonder if DCI should publish a statistic that says ‘this many allegations were investigated and resolved to the satisfaction of the accuser’?   But that would beg the question ‘Why were there all these allegations in the first place’?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Mike

Trying to clear up any confusion I have on this. The compliance reporting then went to designated people within the corps? At what point does any of this go up the chain to DCI? All reports? Reports that were found valid? 
Just trying to work out DCIs part in all this since they are the overseeing agency.

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Trying to clear up any confusion I have on this. The compliance reporting then went to designated people within the corps? At what point does any of this go up the chain to DCI? All reports? Reports that were found valid? 
Just trying to work out DCIs part in all this since they are the overseeing agency.

Looking through the official documents that DCI has posted, it would appear that the only thing that corps are required to report to DCI is incidents involving sexual activity with a participant under the age of 18.  That's listed on Page 9 of the linked document below:

https://online.pubhtml5.com/xada/klod/#p=10

Outside of that, I don't see any other requirements to report to DCI (fair disclosure - I didn't read all of their documents word by word).  Furthermore, there's no details as to what happens when a corps does report sexual activity of that nature.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, rjohn76 said:

Looking through the official documents that DCI has posted, it would appear that the only thing that corps are required to report to DCI is incidents involving sexual activity with a participant under the age of 18.  That's listed on Page 9 of the linked document below:

https://online.pubhtml5.com/xada/klod/#p=10

Outside of that, I don't see any other requirements to report to DCI (fair disclosure - I didn't read all of their documents word by word).  Furthermore, there's no details as to what happens when a corps does report sexual activity of that nature.

When this started I said this would not be a case of write the policies once and they’re done. Things would have to be tweaked and rewritten as the current policy is used and DCI sees what doesn’t work or is missing. Looks like they might have a way to go to get it right.

Im no expert but had annual training in sexual harassment/assault ca 1992-2020. Over the decades between changes in society and need to improve procedures, saw a lot of changes in training. Started with only male harassing female and if problems see your boss. Then they woke up that can have harassment of any gender combination. Also kinda of stupid to say see your boss if he/she is your harasser. DCI needs experts to review what they have and get needed improvements 

11 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

At what point do we go over to Battalion's Facebook page and start asking the questions there?  

any time

• Like 1