If the DCI organization went away???

4 hours ago, Land_Surfer said:

I don’t believe DCI is to blame.  

Dci is the corps 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Land_Surfer said:

My fault.  I was speaking generally about all the posts bashing DCI recently (last 2-3 years), not yours.   

Dci has been bashed since it was founded. So long before DCP was launched in 2002 dci was being bashed. You just had to read the letters to the editor in DCW or DCN or hang out in the parking lots 

6 hours ago, Land_Surfer said:

I don’t believe DCI is to blame.  

To clarify I feel DCI is not doing a full job in creating, updating and implementing their abuse procedures. From what I’ve read (including from those who have dealt with it) it looks like there are lot of holes. For example I’m seeing someone reports to their corps contact and… what is supposed to happen next (like reporting to DCI) isn’t spelled out. And the deal that a SoA member who had been an abuser for years (why the hell was that allowed) was going to BD. BD said he wasn’t allowed to join AFTER the crap hit the fan. Didn’t BD know until the story broke? Story of abusers bouncing from place to place because no one is reporting or keeping track of them has happened way too many times in other organizations for this to be missed.

And yeah it took my organization years of changing their policy before the major problems and missing pieces were resolved. Just get the idea DCI created a policy and they think they’re good.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

On 2/12/2022 at 11:37 PM, neonjvlivs said:

hello! i’m the person that released the story about the battalion and i have yet to hear from them, and it’s been a month! 😞

i finally received an email from the battalion (assuming it’s because someone linked my reddit post underneath a post of theirs and deleted it)! don’t know how to feel about it honestly.

31 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Wanna share?

“I'd really like to have a conversation with you when you're ready.  Is there a time in the next week that works for you to cal? I want to A) apologize for not giving you the experience you deserved, B) get the full story - it sounds like there were a lot of things you experienced that we weren't aware of, C) learn from you and your perspective on how we can make sure no one at BTAL experiences those things again, and D) share the steps we've taken over the last couple years to refine our policies and procedures to prevent abuse and misconduct.“

i would like the email if it wasn’t … almost 3 years late? like i didn’t feel comfortable reporting things other than my SA to them because they didn’t take it seriously or get back to me on it? i don’t know it just makes me feel odd and i feel like they should’ve made a bigger effort to email this to me earier instead of now after minuscule public pressure :/:/ like i shouldn’t have had to go public after almost 3 years to get this response if that makes sense?
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Indeed but let’s be honest independent world runs the show when you look at representation at the may meetings 

Very true , but it's also well known among World class where the bread and butter is. Many from that class also rely on those scholastic groups .

I remember a time ,and keep in mind, with many of the same in charge when they literallywere  selling tickets to the lower classes  to finals with 100% obstruction. Not in the way of seeing a bit BUT 100%  so nothing could be seen and for ( if I remember correctly ), for like 10 bucks. I personally went to the office at the arena and spoke to the big guns so to speak and said these kids can''t see a thing ,nothing, and how wrong it was, well I was told at least they were in the arena and if they didn't like it there was several exits. That's an answer? Of course I was furious and keep in mind it didn't affect at the time kids I was teaching but #### if you're gonna let them in with not enough space at least let them in free or maybe  a minimal.

Thankfully, at least the outward support for the lower teams has changed and I think many realized that their salaries   and positions depend on ALL, especially, scholastic groups.. There's so many of them..lol.

WC will always have the loudest voice BUT I guess when you've been around since dirt and can remember a time when A class didn't even have a voice it's nice to see how the power in numbers and $$$$$$$ can make an impact or at very least demand respect, as they should.

DCI can learn! HMMMM being that DCI IS THE CORPS maybe it's just some people need to  be willing to learn😉

Edited by GUARDLING

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Very true , but it's also well known among World class where the bread and butter is. Many from that class also rely on those scholastic groups .

I remember a time ,and keep in mind, with many of the same in charge when they literallywere  selling tickets to the lower classes  to finals with 100% obstruction. Not in the way of seeing a bit BUT 100%  so nothing could be seen and for ( if I remember correctly ), for like 10 bucks. I personally went to the office at the arena and spoke to the big guns so to speak and said these kids can''t see a thing ,nothing, and how wrong it was, well I was told at least they were in the arena and if they didn't like it there was several exits. That's an answer? Of course I was furious and keep in mind it didn't affect at the time kids I was teaching but #### if you're gonna let them in with not enough space at least let them in free or maybe  a minimal.

Thankfully, at least the outward support for the lower teams has changed and I think many realized that their salaries   and positions depend on ALL, especially, scholastic groups.. There's so many of them..lol.

WC will always have the loudest voice BUT I guess when you've been around since dirt and can remember a time when A class didn't even have a voice it's nice to see how the power in numbers and $$$$$$$ can make an impact or at very least demand respect, as they should.

DCI can learn! HMMMM being that DCI IS THE CORPS maybe it's just some people need to  be willing to learn😉

agreed its better. but 15 WC votes vs. 6 total for Open and A combined needs to be addressed...especially when many of the A open and Open votes are acolytes for WC voices

4 hours ago, neonjvlivs said:
“I'd really like to have a conversation with you when you're ready.  Is there a time in the next week that works for you to cal? I want to A) apologize for not giving you the experience you deserved, B) get the full story - it sounds like there were a lot of things you experienced that we weren't aware of, C) learn from you and your perspective on how we can make sure no one at BTAL experiences those things again, and D) share the steps we've taken over the last couple years to refine our policies and procedures to prevent abuse and misconduct.“

i would like the email if it wasn’t … almost 3 years late? like i didn’t feel comfortable reporting things other than my SA to them because they didn’t take it seriously or get back to me on it? i don’t know it just makes me feel odd and i feel like they should’ve made a bigger effort to email this to me earier instead of now after minuscule public pressure :/:/ like i shouldn’t have had to go public after almost 3 years to get this response if that makes sense?

the timing sucks, i agree but..........maybe finally speaking up will help the administration learn so others never have to go through it.

• Like 3

Their response sounds reasonable, but remember - you are under no obligation to speak with them.  If you *want* to, and feel they're sincere about making changes, then have at it.  You can also ask them in the discussion why it took them so long to respond.

But if you don't want to, and don't feel they are sincere about it, then don't.  This is about your experience, and you don't owe anybody anything.

Mike

• Like 4