If the DCI organization went away???

2 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Their response sounds reasonable, but remember - you are under no obligation to speak with them.  If you *want* to, and feel they're sincere about making changes, then have at it.  You can also ask them in the discussion why it took them so long to respond.

But if you don't want to, and don't feel they are sincere about it, then don't.  This is about your experience, and you don't owe anybody anything.

Mike

Yep definitely neonjvlivs controls any response or non-response.

• Like 2

I had not read many of post in this thread until today. Rather than comment on a good number of posts, I’m just going to make a few observations.

I don’t think you’re going to see DCI go away, and if it does I don’t see a new organization forming. If it’s non-profit, it’s too much of an undertaking. For for profit businesses, I just don’t think there is enough money to be made in drum corps. I do think DCI needs to step up more than it has, and it needs to do more than create policies which it has done, but it’s turned out to be little more than a box checked. . I would not be surprised if many corps discuss safety issues, what defines sexual misconduct, what to do, etc. Codes of conduct may even be signed by marching members, volunteers, and staff. However, putting these words into practice is a different matter. The only way things will change is if there is a position at DCI that has teeth. This would not be a compliance officer or a social worker on staff though both have a role. You need someone with the qualifications and experience to investigate these matters. Many church groups and I believe the Boy Scouts have hired people who have experience with the Justice Department, US Attorneys, or FBI. They understand mandated reporting for minors and differences based on state to state, what infractions are interstate which means a different jurisdiction, and understand the resources available. The person would not be hired by the corps directors or DCI. A board that hires would include a director or two, perhaps some members of the DCI board, but enough outsiders to give the person credibility. The person would answer to the director of DCI but would be independent of the director as well. The board that hired would also evaluate. The two major problems I see would be the corps not going along with it but also the salary. We’re looking at a salary of $300K plus. 

A second suggestion which could curb bad and often illegal behavior is a signed contract for all employees, marching members, instructional staff, and volunteers that states their history with a corps follows them to other corps and by signing this contract they agree to this policy. This overrides limitations of corps to be honest about problems with the person in question of they move to another corps. Anyone fired from one corps would need to be cleared by a non partial review board before being hired by another corps. There would be a data base of questionable behavior and do not hire lists. I do realize that even with signed contracts there could be many legal challenges to the policy, but schools and service organizations have put these policies in place based on a solid information about sex offenders. Sex offenders try and fly below the radar. If you are fired for sexual misconduct and fight the matter in court, you have to make sure your record is without question. The bad attitude, irresponsible person may have a day in court though their cases could probably be settled out of court, but evidence shows a sex offender would move on and not take the risk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I had not read many of post in this thread until today. Rather than comment on a good number of posts, I’m just going to make a few observations.

I don’t think you’re going to see DCI go away, and if it does I don’t see a new organization forming. If it’s non-profit, it’s too much of an undertaking. For for profit businesses, I just don’t think there is enough money to be made in drum corps. I do think DCI needs to step up more than it has, and it needs to do more than create policies which it has done, but it’s turned out to be little more than a box checked. . I would not be surprised if many corps discuss safety issues, what defines sexual misconduct, what to do, etc. Codes of conduct may even be signed by marching members, volunteers, and staff. However, putting these words into practice is a different matter. The only way things will change is if there is a position at DCI that has teeth. This would not be a compliance officer or a social worker on staff though both have a role. You need someone with the qualifications and experience to investigate these matters. Many church groups and I believe the Boy Scouts have hired people who have experience with the Justice Department, US Attorneys, or FBI. They understand mandated reporting for minors and differences based on state to state, what infractions are interstate which means a different jurisdiction, and understand the resources available. The person would not be hired by the corps directors or DCI. A board that hires would include a director or two, perhaps some members of the DCI board, but enough outsiders to give the person credibility. The person would answer to the director of DCI but would be independent of the director as well. The board that hired would also evaluate. The two major problems I see would be the corps not going along with it but also the salary. We’re looking at a salary of $300K plus. 

A second suggestion which could curb bad and often illegal behavior is a signed contract for all employees, marching members, instructional staff, and volunteers that states their history with a corps follows them to other corps and by signing this contract they agree to this policy. This overrides limitations of corps to be honest about problems with the person in question of they move to another corps. Anyone fired from one corps would need to be cleared by a non partial review board before being hired by another corps. There would be a data base of questionable behavior and do not hire lists. I do realize that even with signed contracts there could be many legal challenges to the policy, but schools and service organizations have put these policies in place based on a solid information about sex offenders. Sex offenders try and fly below the radar. If you are fired for sexual misconduct and fight the matter in court, you have to make sure your record is without question. The bad attitude, irresponsible person may have a day in court though their cases could probably be settled out of court, but evidence shows a sex offender would move on and not take the risk.

I am sure the member corps would gulp and swallow hard at hiring anyone with a $300K plus salary … it would cut into their profits, but it would be money well spent in my opinion. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I don’t think you’re going to see DCI go away, and if it does I don’t see a new organization forming. If it’s non-profit, it’s too much of an undertaking. For for profit businesses, I just don’t think there is enough money to be made in drum corps.

Not much if any profit for the DCI organization.  I think there is profit to be made by the private vendors/suppliers.  That's why you see the Varsity 'encroachment' into this art form at all levels. The DCI product has an incredible influence on the market even to the elementary & middle school levels.  💲😁    

I just received an email from Varsity today for open registration as they are starting a New Years Day event at Universal.  I guess they'll get into the travel industry next?  (Well, they're handling everything but transportation, so they are in the travel business.)  

https://www.varsity.com/performing-arts/new-years-celebration/

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

26 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I am sure the member corps would gulp and swallow hard at hiring anyone with a $300K plus salary … it would cut into their profits, but it would be money well spent in my opinion. 

At least hire someone from the outside who knows how to design and implement a comprehensive anti-abuse policy and procedures 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

The two major problems I see would be the corps not going along with it but also the salary. We’re looking at a salary of $300K plus. 

All great ideas and, you're right, corps will balk at a $300K salary, but I bet you could find a competent compliance officer/investigator for $150K.  Maybe there's a retired D.A. out there, or someone with law enforcement background that needs a side hustle. 

• 2 weeks later...

DCI disappeared long before this question ever got asked. Now its just a question of when the name changes. 
Here’s to the good old days. 

Miss ya Pooh Bear. 
Miss ya Ronny. 
Miss ya Trooper. 
Save me a spot guys. 

Damon

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlueDevilsBari said:

DCI disappeared long before this question ever got asked. Now its just a question of when the name changes. 
Here’s to the good old days. 

Miss ya Pooh Bear. 
Miss ya Ronny. 
Miss ya Trooper. 
Save me a spot guys. 

Damon

I marched with Doug in a couple of corps.  Rest In Peace. 🙏