If the DCI organization went away???

22 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

You could be right. Maybe these are some of the things which should be re- taught on the 50th anniversary. 

Your own corps was a huge influence and I believe to this very day in many ways from people to courage to make heads spin back then.. and you did..lol

Fast forward to 1:45.  Archaic by today's standards, but at the time..............(that was a Stanley Knaub.  Best 16 counts in Color Guard for that era).  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Fast forward to 1:45.  Archaic by today's standards, but at the time..............(that was a Stanley Knaub.  Best 16 counts in Color Guard for that era).  

OMG...seeing that the 1st time made me put down my horn for good...lol...Miss him, and many others. My sibling worked with him back in the 70s . Oh the stories..lol

But you see, this is exactly what I mean. Archaic? compared to today? Maybe BUT how many times, including in WGI and DCI , thousands of band programs have we seen variations of this exact thing. Change the costuming, change the shape, alter it a bit......it's there, to this day...Thank You !

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MikeN said:

If DCI went away tomorrow, Varsity would provide a new competition structure in a hot minute.  The non top-6 corps wouldn't like the new terms, but they wouldn't have much choice either.

Mike

probably already being worked on

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Oh, my.  I just cringed when I saw this post, figuring it would be eaten alive before the next mealtime.

And then I saw the response... 

First - there were hundreds of concurrently competing corps.  If you want to count non-competitive corps, then you are talking thousands.

Second - yes, most of them were sponsored by pre-existing organizations.  American Legion.  VFW.  Churches.  Schools.  Boy Scouts.  Girl Scouts.  Elks.  Eagles.  Moose.  Amvets.  Shriners.  Lions Club.  Fire departments.  Polish Legion of American Veterans.  Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West.  More than I can list here.

Third - speaking of "on life support", if not for a recent $4.7 million government grant to DCI and other substantial grants to individual corps, we would not be having this conversation.  But modern corps already relied upon charitable giving for a vital portion of their funding prior to the pandemic.  Drum corps has always been "on life support".  The difference is that back in the day, drum corps was sufficiently cost-conscious so that civic organizations already "on life support" themselves could still afford to sponsor a corps.

I thought your post was going to explain why the "archaic" system did not work... 

well if drum corps was so cost conscious BITD there'd be more corps'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well if drum corps was so cost conscious BITD there'd be more corps'

I see your point Jeff. But it is also safe to say that many of the corps which folded were also financially irresponsible all on their lonesome (separated from DCI in a financial sense?) I mean, if I remember correctly Southwind lasted a whopping 2 seasons before going inactive for 5 or 6 seasons due (in part,) to finances.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

The Varsity "minions" are probably working on it as we type. 😁

Why do drummers love Minions so much? I have found it to be nearly universal LOL 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

To clarify, Im unaware of any groups that were on “life support” WHILE they sponsored a corps. The decline came later and a symptom of the decline was no longer sponsoring activities like DC and sports teams.

I think we are talking about two different things.

Your point, if I am interpreting correctly, is that veterans organizations circa 2022 are significantly depleted and therefore unable to provide support commensurate with what they provided circa 1972.

My point, in plain English, is that what it took to fund a leading junior corps circa 1972 is nowhere near commensurate with the million-dollar annual funding requirement of the circa 2022 corps.

I think both of those points, as stated above, are true and clear enough to be beyond debate.

That said... the context of the discussion was asking why DCI was formed.  As valid as your point is, I have never heard it presented as a motivation for the formation of DCI.  No one in 1972 knew that there would be no World War III and that veterans would be so much fewer in number 50 years later that their civic organizations would be so significantly depleted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

I think we are talking about two different things.

Your point, if I am interpreting correctly, is that veterans organizations circa 2022 are significantly depleted and therefore unable to provide support commensurate with what they provided circa 1972.

My point, in plain English, is that what it took to fund a leading junior corps circa 1972 is nowhere near commensurate with the million-dollar annual funding requirement of the circa 2022 corps.

I think both of those points, as stated above, are true and clear enough to be beyond debate.

I was responding to the “organizations already on life support” but now not sure what years you meant. 

I was thinking of the situation prior to DCI forming in 1972. The number of corps had already gone down by then and the decline of the cities started in the 50s/60s. I’ve read the early and mid 1960s DCN articles posted in a blog. Lot of smaller corps gone before DCI was even thought up. IOW doubt if that many AL, VFW, churches, etc were still providing support by 1972 as compared to the past. If they were it might have been a token amount so the corps could use the organizations name. Have seen that posted here with some Jr corps but forget what years it was done.

Just because a corps was connected with a Post, it doesn’t mean the Post provided a lot of $$$$. My corps won 1978 AL Nationals. If I heard right the local Legion Post kicked in $200 or $300 so they could say they sponsored us.🤔

Edited by JimF-LowBari

13 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

The corps felt it didn't work and wanted another direction. I'm not going to get into the old and tired discussion on the BITD verses today.

(Cut for brevity & because I didn't want to force any more electrons to go someplace they would rather not go)

I believe if not for smart, aggressive, visionaries from BITD there wouldn't even be an activity today. I was lucky  that several were mentor's   and   I was privileged   to have worked under many of them.

In 1970-72 there were leaders in the activity such as George Bonfiglio, Don Warren, & esp Jim Jones (to name a few) who were willing to lay it all on the line; say 'The current situation just isn't working for us'; & then actually do something about it.  I do not see leaders like that in the activity today.