If the DCI organization went away???

21 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I truly believe in my heart that two things have come into being in the last 20 years which both helped and harmed but they both stem from the same tree: Social Media. 

This is very true for both Drum Corps (to be specific) as well as for society (in general).  We see how it has changed Drum Corps; Consider how Social Media has changed politics, relationships, health care (imagine the pandemic without social media), and entertainment.

It boils down to what I teach my biology students.  When faced with new conditions, one has three choices:  Adapt, Migrate, or Die.  DCI can adapt to the new social media reality where it is harder to sweep things under the rug by putting actual (vs lip service) procedures in place and actually using them when necessary; or Drum Corps can migrate to a new overarching organization (I see Varsity mentioned a lot); or die.  Die is always an option.

• Like 1

I have nothing new to add here. Many wonderful comments on this. If DCI was absolved as the name, face and administrative arm for drum and bugle corps it would potentially allow a kind of wild west situation for ideas on touring, entertainment, and funding. 

In theory, DCI is the product of the individual corps. So the corps go back to being individual groups that need to fundraise, recruit, and find places to perform...competitive or not. 

But few people would attend a performance to just see 12.5 minutes of show and a few standstill tunes. Clearly the individual corps need each other. They need a way to organize events, come up with scheduling, to determine judging content, licensing, handle large event contracts, etc. So they obviously need someone working on their behalf. That is what DCI has been. Trying to do all that work with just the corps directors calling each other, emails, texts, etc. is just not a logical way to schedule. 

However, if the DCI administrative arm were to be terminated would we see some of the following?

• Could we see some corps split from the "norm" and move to collaborate with a less competitive but perhaps more innovative and entertaining form of outdoor pageantry? Broadway on the football field with no judging and no rules. Woodwinds, orchestral instruments, costuming, etc. Essentially a lot of what we have seen, but taken to the max by corps with the money to make it happen in a new circuit. 
  • Could we see a number of groups decide that they wish to keep a competitive model alive, but want to start a more regional circuit or initiative that allows the corps to travel a little less for the first 4 or 5 weeks of the season? Maybe the season starts later. Instead of DCI handling the scheduling a local initiative might gives certain corps more consistency for camp and early-season travel and costs. 
  • Could we see a model where smaller corps begin a more efficient and cost effective circuit with a WGI approach to performing more in gyms or concert venues (arenas) where the costs of travel can be kept in check, the number of members can be less (perhaps maxed at 85) and where marching members could work jobs Monday - Thursday? Maybe a combination of a DCA/WGI type model with modifications. 
  • Like 2

On 2/3/2022 at 6:13 PM, keystone3ply said:

I think an organization such as WGI, USBands, or Varsity would probably take it over?  I would think Varsity would jump on it & make it profitable for their company? (Selfish reasons?)  Now would all of the member corps want to operate under their umbrella?  Probably not?  

I'm all questions? 🤔  

The Blue Devils parent organization took over USBands. I wonder if they would desire to create a new drum corps organization if DCI were to fail. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MikeD said:

The Blue Devils parent organization took over USBands. I wonder if they would desire to create a new drum corps organization if DCI were to fail. 

I'm sure their heart would be willing but would their bank account?  If it was viable financially, I'm sure they would love to acquisition the DCI organization.     

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 12:22 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Absolutely questionable things BITD.  But my point is that a strong leader takes care of a problem immediately & nips it in the bud, rather than letting it fester & come out 7-months later on Reddit, Facebook, & DCP. 

And perhaps this is happening at some Corps, & that is why we don't hear about troubles in their organizations.   

But it seems that the collective consciousness of DCP suggests that there is more abuse going on out there that is being swept under the rug so to speak.  Not every abused member is willing to go public & has parents willing to retain a law firm (as happened w/ SoA). 

Heck, there are standing allegations on Reddit concerning Raiders, Battalion, & the new SCV Director.  And neither HQ DCI, nor the Corps involved, have said anything. 

And, unfortunately, that speaks volumes.  This is why some on this thread are suggesting the replacement or reorganization of DCI with an organization that will actively discipline the individual Corps if the Corps won't do it themselves.

No one here wants Drum Corps to go away.  But, there are only a limited number of times member abuse scandals can happen for the activity to survive.  And some of that number have been used up.

hello! i’m the person that released the story about the battalion and i have yet to hear from them, and it’s been a month! :(

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, neonjvlivs said:

hello! i’m the person that released the story about the battalion and i have yet to hear from them, and it’s been a month! 😞

Methinks you should be louder

• Like 4

10 hours ago, neonjvlivs said:

hello! i’m the person that released the story about the battalion and i have yet to hear from them, and it’s been a month! 😞

I am sorry that happened to you.  
Edit- I have posted on the ‘Floodgates’ thread that you had not heard from Battalion.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra