Issues With DCA Championship Request

The cops who had nothing better to do than act as ushers with pistols were downright obnoxious and on a major power trip. I understand that there are fire regulations or some sort of safety regulations which state that fans can't congregate in the area behind the seats. Fine. Then don't tell me to move into the hallway and then, when I do that, tell me that I need to be either in my seat or in the concourse. And the only reason I'm not in my seat is because I don't want to be rude and walk in in the middle of a corps' performance. (and I DO consider that to be rude and wish a lot of other people saw it the same way! I mean, geez, how many times does Fran have to announce it for it to sink in?)

I wouldn't mind being subject to rules that I don't necessarily like if they weren't accompanied by arrogance in a uniform which must stem from deep-seeded feelings of inadequacy. Any psychologists out there who can shed some light on these folks? Oedipus? Small you-know-what syndrome? Or maybe they're just ########. Either way, they made the experience a lot less enjoyable than it could have been. I still had a great time, though! :)

Was this your 1st time at DCA's in Scranton? The Nazi youth (cops) were actually nicer than in some years in the recent past. Somehow, I don't think that's ever going to change.

:rolleyes: :) :lol:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Scranton, yes. I was in Rochester in 1996. I remember reading about it last year -- but experiencing it is very different.

Buffoons, all of 'em!

The cops who had nothing better to do than act as ushers with pistols were downright obnoxious and on a major power trip.  I understand that there are fire regulations or some sort of safety regulations which state that fans can't congregate in the area behind the seats.  Fine.  Then don't tell me to move into the hallway and then, when I do that, tell me that I need to be either in my seat or in the concourse.  And the only reason I'm not in my seat is because I don't want to be rude and walk in in the middle of a corps' performance.  (and I DO consider that to be rude and wish a lot of other people saw it the same way!  I mean, geez, how many times does Fran have to announce it for it to sink in?)

I wouldn't mind being subject to rules that I don't necessarily like if they weren't accompanied by arrogance in a uniform which must stem from deep-seeded feelings of inadequacy.  Any psychologists out there who can shed some light on these folks?  Oedipus?  Small you-know-what syndrome?  Or maybe they're just ########.  Either way, they made the experience a lot less enjoyable than it could have been.  I still had a great time, though!  :)

Was this your 1st time at DCA's in Scranton? The Nazi youth (cops) were actually nicer than in some years in the recent past. Somehow, I don't think that's ever going to change.

:rolleyes: :) :lol:

Speaking of the cops, on Sunday night, they personally visited the interior of my hotel room ... TWICE .... to get Pizza Orgasmica 2.0 to shut down.

I understand that there are fire regulations or some sort of safety regulations which state that fans can't congregate in the area behind the seats. Fine. Then don't tell me to move into the hallway and then, when I do that, tell me that I need to be either in my seat or in the concourse. And the only reason I'm not in my seat is because I don't want to be rude and walk in in the middle of a corps' performance. (and I DO consider that to be rude and wish a lot of other people saw it the same way! I mean, geez, how many times does Fran have to announce it for it to sink in?)

You don't walk into a theatre for a stage performance and squeeze through the crowd to get to your seat midway through Act 1, do you!? Why were the 'authorities' allowing this to happen, as opposed to being tough on those of us who wanted to see, hear and show respect to our fellow competitors & friends in other corps by standing at the back or in the hallways? Should Drum Corps performance be treated with any less respect ... or the family, friends & fans trying to watch?

*shaking my head*

I'm in total agreement with the thoughts on the bases, too! I understand that last year, the local team was in the playoffs ... which was the explanation for the uncovered mudpits (although forgive me if this is not quite correct.) And, as I recall, issues with the mud were much worse last year. Seems that maybe a lesson could have been learned. *shrugs*

Still looking forward to next year, though!! Regardless of the venue, it's a great experience to travel east for Senior Corps at its best!!

B)

The "Officials" that would insist that one go into the stands to sit down during a performance!!! rather than let us stand in the entery!!!

The sand pits that almost dropped at least 15 folks while I was watching on Sat!

Strong need to have e football stadium for performances.

^0^

... i know souvie people need a place to set up, but is there a way to place them ... maybe down the 3rd base side where not as many people are walking?

That would get them out of the way, alright - not exactly good, power advertising, but definitely out of the way. ;)^ You could almost forget they were there - which probably is why they set up where they do.

I agree the dirt should be covered. In Prelims, what looked like (without binoculars) a baritone player in the Bushwackers was covered with mud from the waist down on the left side after rolling in it. That was no doubt an expensive cleaning bill before Finals.

I also noticed people coming in and getting seated during performances. At the DCI shows, I never saw that. If you tried to enter the stadium after a corps started their show, you were blocked by an usher making sure that (in best Gandalf-like voice), "You Shall Not Pass!" DCA could use more of that type of enforcement.

my intent is not to have the people moved to where they cant be seen. but with tables and vendors on both sides of the aisles, as well as concessions and restroom lines, it gets really packed in there.

DCI usually does a great job taking an area and making it the souvenier market place....DCA could do this as well.

Edited by Jeffsjetta

Some nice suggestions. I agree about the ushers, they confused the two standing orders. One was that spectators complained loudly that the people who were standing in the lower deck area were too loud and distracting to those that paid good money to see the performances. Two, that they were to BLOCK people from entering and leaving the seating area during a performance. This should be more emphasized next season.

Security has been a problem for several years and this was one of the better years but we still have a way to go. The police in Scranton and specifically the stadium are use to rowdy and unpleasant behaviour. Their demeanor is stern at the least and at time nasty. DCA needs to have an assisgned security officer as apart of the DCA management team to handle security issues that arrive. Too much power and individual decision making on the part of the police was allowed and they simply do not understand drum corps.

Coordination and support via radios would be a better solution for next year. This would allow DCA to make the decision on THEIR championship and not leave it to non-drum corps personnel.

The issue of the base coverings WILL BE discussed with the staidum management for next season. The Labor Day weekend will be a week later than normal and should allow plenty of time for the stadium folks to cover those dirt piles.

Keep the ideas and comments coming. They are NOT falling on deaf ears.

William Aldrich/Thorpe

Edited by Bill_VA

I, for one, do not understand the uncovered bases. It was like marching in SNOT! ampssuck There were many places in our show where I, or others, had to march gingerly so as not to fall and bust our butts.

A 14 year old may fall and only get a bruise, but there are no youngsters in this corps! We could throw out a hip with a fall like that! :P

The police were certainly better than last year. Not the best, but better.