Pioneer News From The Top – Gathering Of The Clan

16 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Pageantry Parasite? (Even though a leach is a parasite I like the alliterative quality)

Biology professor here - parasites are important ecologically; don't besmirch them by lumping them in with those who personally profit off the labors of the youth in the activity.

Parasites are cool (& off-topic - the people who wrote the movie Alien understood parasitology & really got it right.  I show clips to some of my classes.)

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
more better english
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Biology professor here - parasites are important ecologically; don't besmirch them by lumping them in with those who personally profit off the labors of the youth in the activity.

Parasites are cool (& off-topic - the people who wrote the movie Alien understood parasitology & really got it right.  I show clips to some of my classes.)

Nice. My wife studies tapeworms for a living (and mine tbh)

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I teach for a living as well (though mostly now days I just manage those who teach,) but I am not allowed to refer to any of the students as parasites no matter how much they may act the part. 

And to be on topic, my fathers favorite two corps were the 27th and the Troopers. Even when I was getting myself prepared to start auditioning for Spirit and such, my father would always talk about how I was tough and that winter and spring rehearsals wouldn't be THAT bad in Mass. (P.S. I despise cold weather)

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, FTNK said:

Nice. My wife studies tapeworms for a living (and mine tbh)

I'm trying to parse this as something other than "my wife studies my tapeworm for a living" but its too funny.

• Haha 5

On 2/19/2022 at 12:21 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Cool.  What is her opinion of the 'tapeworm diet'?

Doesn’t really work. And there’s a distinct possibility that if you don’t practice good hygiene and prepare food, tapeworm eggs will get in the food and cause people to develop larval cysts in their liver, lungs, brain….

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Doesn’t really work. And there’s a distinct possibility that if you don’t practice good hygiene and prepare food, tapeworm eggs will get in the food and cause people to develop larval cysts in their liver, lungs, brain….

But other than that, it’s cool? 

On 2/19/2022 at 10:48 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Hookworms are fascinating. The way they end up in the intestines is ingenious. They enter between the toes, work their way into your bloodstream and eventually the lungs. Wait, they’re not done yet! Once in the lungs they cause the host to cough, bringing them up, at which point the host swallows them and they then end up in the intestines. They know enough to keep their numbers at a level that keeps their host (barely) alive. Hookworm infections have all but disappeared in the American South since the advent of indoor plumbing but the after effects lived on for years through an unjust stereotype.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-stuff-you-should-know-26940277/episode/southerners-arent-lazy-and-dumb-they-29467506/

Edited by Brian Tuma
Added podcast
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Hookworms are fascinating. The way they end up in the intestines is ingenious. They enter between the toes, work their way into your bloodstream and eventually the lungs. Wait, they’re not done yet! Once in the lungs they cause the host to cough which brings them up at which point the host swallows them and they then end up in the intestines. They know enough to keep their numbers at a level that keeps their host (barely) alive. Hookworm infections have all but disappeared in the American South since the advent of indoor plumbing but the after effects lived on in for years through an unjust stereotype.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-stuff-you-should-know-26940277/episode/southerners-arent-lazy-and-dumb-they-29467506/

‘On the field, presenting their show ‘Hookworm’, Drum Corps International is proud to present….’

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

‘On the field, presenting their show ‘Hookworm’, Drum Corps International is proud to present….’

ew.  But ... it could totally work.  Some serpentine drill that wraps in on itself and starts making lines cross as it weaves would be worthy of some of those crazy drills Cavies used to do.

Musical selections including: 

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Haha 3