What was the smallest community to put a corps in DCI Finals?

I guess it depends on how you define "community", and timing counts, too.

Casper was a pretty small town when the Troopers made their first appearance, but was probably larger than Finleyville by the time the Royal Crusaders showed up. Great Bend, KS had a comparatively small population in 1972, and most of those Argonne Rebel kids were from the same high school district, I think.

Schaumburg wasn't exactly Manhattan, the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island in 1976 when the Guardsmen appeared and for that matter, Concord was a cow-town in 1974.

Still, the Finleyville pick might be correct.

• Like 1

It is also necessary to specify what you mean. Did the corps members reside in that town? How many? What percentage?

In the DCI era, members in most corps have no relationship to the name/address of the corps. They are visitors at best.

However, prior to the DCI, it was almost a certainty that most corps' members lived in or very near the corps address. Visit a rehearsal of the current corps and you will see  car license plates from all over the country.

After finals, bus lineups are placed by what part of the country they will make drop-offs , such as California - North or South, etc, regardless of the corps name labeled on the bus.

16 hours ago, ironlips said:

I guess it depends on how you define "community", and timing counts, too.

I understand it is impossible to calculate the transiency of members from outside the corps’  “home” community.  The only objective way to   look at it is with the size of the home town of the corps.  I would imagine most of todays corps are made up of a very large percent of “out-of-towners”.

1 hour ago, Rudy Wiedoeft said:

I understand it is impossible to calculate the transiency of members from outside the corps’  “home” community.  The only objective way to   look at it is with the size of the home town of the corps.  I would imagine most of todays corps are made up of a very large percent of “out-of-towners”.

In that case, I think we have a winner:

2022 Population- Finleyville, PA = 381

• Like 1

As somebody yelled from the stands at DCM in '75, "THE ROYAL WHAT FROM WHERE???"

They found out real quick the answer to those questions.

• Like 1

Well, in fairness, Finleyville had all of Pittsburgh to draw from. I don't know for fact, but I believe they were from Finleyville in name only via an AL sponsorship or somesuch.

I think ironlips hit it, certainly as a true hometown corps in Argonne. 

You could even throw Hutchinson Sky Ryders in the top 5 or so before they moved to Texas. They were "mostly" local kids first time in Top 12.