When DCI returns, will brass play more, less or the same as in 2019 and why?

While viewing the 2019 championships recently, I realized that the brass sections in many corps seemed to dance more than blow..I exaggerate but is this trend going to continue until brass just becomes background music( if it hasn't already)?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Will brass play more, less or the same as 2019? Answer: yes

Why? Because those are the only possible options.

How right you are sir!

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

they'll do whatever they think will get them the highest score

Does the highest score win, after deducting penalties? I think I heard that somewhere. 

• Haha 2

For whatever reason, this past season (though some will say it wasn't a season blah blah blah,) was a turning point for me in several ways. On the good side, the kids genuinely had fun and performed for the RIGHT reasons. We also saw corps make some interesting show decisions. Some saved a &^#@^% ton of money by bringing back old shows entirely (PR) or at least arrangements that had been paid for in years or decades past. Smart move!

But one show bothered me a bit....Bluecoats. I actually found myself watching the show and thinking "good LORD can we stop the back tracking and play some instruments please?" at one point. Like I get it and I appreciate what they laid down out there. Amazing performers and a double tough show to pull off. But for once, I was one of those "old guys" crossing that mental line of "this isn't drum corps." Going back and watching it a few more times, the show grew on me a tiny bit but not like other shows did. 

So to the OP's original point, corps have been able to achieve a balance in years past IMHO. 2016 Bluecoats was a good example of that. Just the right amount of running about, giganto-props, killer brass, a good battery and pit (still HATED the mic'd snares up on the ramp as they sounded like 9 pairs of shoes in a drier) and some moments of "thunderous goo" that really weren't THAT bad. And if you are gonna take a chance to really try to push the envelope, a non-competitive year is the time to do it. But I really hope that this year, corps reign it in a bit. Watching 2019 Cavies company front during Wrong Side of the Tracks made me wanna throw babies again. Let's have a little more of that. 

Just my opinion

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

For whatever reason, this past season (though some will say it wasn't a season blah blah blah,) was a turning point for me in several ways. On the good side, the kids genuinely had fun and performed for the RIGHT reasons. We also saw corps make some interesting show decisions. Some saved a &^#@^% ton of money by bringing back old shows entirely (PR) or at least arrangements that had been paid for in years or decades past. Smart move!

But one show bothered me a bit....Bluecoats. I actually found myself watching the show and thinking "good LORD can we stop the back tracking and play some instruments please?" at one point. Like I get it and I appreciate what the laid down out there. Amazing performers and a double tough show to pull off. But for once, I was one of those "old guys" crossing that mental line of "this isn't drum corps." Going back and watching it a few more times, the show grew on m a tiny bit but not like other shows did. 

So to the OP's original point, corps have been able to achieve a balance in years past IMHO. 2016 Bluecoats was a good example of that. Just the right amount of running about, giganto-props, killer brass, a good battery and pit (still HATED the mic'd snares up on the ramp as they sounded like 9 pairs of shoes in a drier) and some moments of "thunderous goo" that really weren't THAT bad. And if you are gonna take a chance to really try to push the envelope, a non-competitive year is the time to do it. But I really hope that this year, corps reign it in a bit. Watching 2019 Cavies company front during Wrong Side of the Tracks made me wanna throw babies again. Let's have a little more of that. 

Just my opinion

The one thing to keep in mind about the “thunderous goo” is that the audio mix is usually way more balanced in person. (Assuming you aren’t sitting down low directly in front of one of the speakers) The streaming folks usually place mics in front of all the speakers so that stuff comes through much stronger on the stream than it actually is. 

7 minutes ago, crownisking said:

The one thing to keep in mind about the “thunderous goo” is that the audio mix is usually way more balanced in person. (Assuming you aren’t sitting down low directly in front of one of the speakers) The streaming folks usually place mics in front of all the speakers so that stuff comes through much stronger on the stream than it actually is. 

I really don't generally mind it much to be honest. There are very few moments that I can think of where I was like "ughhhhhh..." Now HS Bands are WAY over using it, that much is certain. 

• Like 1