When DCI returns, will brass play more, less or the same as in 2019 and why?

40 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I really don't generally mind it much to be honest. There are very few moments that I can think of where I was like "ughhhhhh..." Now HS Bands are WAY over using it, that much is certain. 

Coming from a person that regularly attends high school band shows, I can go on and on about how poorly mixed/designed some high school band shows are. I’m super progressive when it comes to the performing arts, but a malfunctioning generator is the best thing that could happen to some of these bands. I mean, talk about random sounds for the sake of random sounds? Sheesh!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Does the highest score win, after deducting penalties? I think I heard that somewhere. 

yes. and when we get closer and we see the exact scoring system used, i can break it down for you in a granular fashion

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

yes. and when we get closer and we see the exact scoring system used, i can break it down for you in a granular fashion

I think you should! Like, can you tell us what happens when the judging panel expands? Are averages involved? 

21 hours ago, crownisking said:

Coming from a person that regularly attends high school band shows, I can go on and on about how poorly mixed/designed some high school band shows are. I’m super progressive when it comes to the performing arts, but a malfunctioning generator is the best thing that could happen to some of these bands. I mean, talk about random sounds for the sake of random sounds? Sheesh!

oh you have no idea. try judging GE and having the balls to call it out

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I think you should! Like, can you tell us what happens when the judging panel expands? Are averages involved? 

oh yes. i can break it all down. 

and whoever scores highest ( once any penalties are subtracted) will win. it never fails, even if Chumley is on the panel

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 3:49 PM, crownisking said:

(Assuming you aren’t sitting down low directly in front of one of the speakers)

Today’s design teams configure all sound reinforcement electronics to present optimal audio quality to the pressbox judging area that will be at the Championship’s venue.   I think most general audience members would be shocked (and disappointed) if they knew how much artificial enhancement of the brass book many corps pump through their speakers.  Much of this is driven by the corps trying to overcome the acoustical nightmare that is the enclosed stadium.

Drum Corps has its highest level of brass performers in the history of the activity.   Find a venue that lets them perform without all the electronic smoke and mirrors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This is why everyone goes to watch warmup arcs....

• Like 3

Rumor has it brass lines will only play 3 minutes of actual music. The pit and field battery will take 5, and the other 4 minutes will go to samples, voices, and small marching analog synthesizers. The later take the place of marching bells from the 70s and 80s and will be primarily used for EDM or Urban Hip-Hop. 

• Haha 2