Using Music without permission (Say it isn't so)

Yup - same playbook.  Unfortunately for the skaters, they may not have much of a defense.  I'm not sure NBC is liable here, as they're broadcasting an independent event?  Good luck suing the IOC or the Chinese organizing committee.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Yeah, I saw that yesterday and had the same thought.

Oh, those wicked, wicked songwriters. Imagine wanting to be paid a royalty and a synchronization fee just because millions of viewers heard a worldwide broadcast of your music, synched to a performance at the Olympic Games, sponsored by multi-national corporations who generate billions in sales based on commercial exposure via that event.

The audacity!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

well they will probably pay out more than DCI did

11 hours ago, MikeN said:

Yup - same playbook.  Unfortunately for the skaters, they may not have much of a defense.  I'm not sure NBC is liable here, as they're broadcasting an independent event?  Good luck suing the IOC or the Chinese organizing committee.

Mike

i think NBC has to get the rights to air it

59 minutes ago, ironlips said:

Oh, those wicked, wicked songwriters. Imagine wanting to be paid a royalty and a synchronization fee just because millions of viewers heard a worldwide broadcast of your music, synched to a performance at the Olympic Games, sponsored by multi-national corporations who generate billions in sales based on commercial exposure via that event.

The audacity!

I know, right? Songwriters can be so touchy.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

8 hours ago, ironlips said:

The audacity!

Their music?

3 hours ago, Keith Hall said:

Who watched the Olympics?

Only by accidently clicking on Hulu's "recommended for you" one time. I never let that happen again.