Escalating fuel cost and its impact on the 2022 tour

DCFAN

I am starting to worry that with the situation in Ukraine the cost for gas and diesel fuels will become a real burden for most of the touring corps. The price for fuels is already high and is expected to get a lot worse.   I am sure most corps at this point don't have big cash reserves to weather this storm. Just surprised that this has not been a discussion topic.   

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DCFAN said:

I am starting to worry that with the situation in Ukraine the cost for gas and diesel fuels will become a real burden for most of the touring corps. The price for fuels is already high and is expected to get a lot worse.   I am sure most corps at this point don't have big cash reserves to weather this storm. Just surprised that this has not been a discussion topic.   

Your concerns are justified.  We have no idea where fuel prices will top off.  Impossible to budget.  And diesel is already about $.50 cents more a gallon than gasoline.  At least, here in Floriduh. 

• Like 2

Possibly, but I'm hearing that the bigger looming concern is a shortage of leaseable tractors for pulling equipment trucks. Most corps lease, rather than own, and there are fewer to get this year than in 2019.

Back to the box trucks and step vans. 😃

57 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Possibly, but I'm hearing that the bigger looming concern is a shortage of leaseable tractors for pulling equipment trucks. Most corps lease, rather than own, and there are fewer to get this year than in 2019.

Back to the box trucks and step vans. 😃

I go back as far as converted bread trucks.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It looks like most corps are doing shorter tours this year, that may help a little bit with fuel costs.  I am not sure of the numbers but I know many of the trucks are owner operators.  They may be loyal and doing it because they like it, however they are less likely to have guaranteed fuel contracts.  There was a big jump in fuel prices in I think 2000 and the corps adjusted  I am sure they will work their budgets to make it work.   I think there are bigger issues to worry about right now. 

Question.......some years ago, unless I am delirious, I believe that there were a good many corps that participated in some sort of "fuel consortium".....there was a vendor,

and they were able to purchase gasoline in advance at a certain price (and that stayed the same even if fuel went up)    I wonder if that is still around?  It would be a great thing for them if it was..........

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I go back as far as converted bread trucks.  

You had a converted bread truck? Lucky.

• Thanks 2

the shorter tours may help some, but the costs are going up. cutting 3 weeks of spring training could save corps THOUSANDS that could offset it

• Like 2