Escalating fuel cost and its impact on the 2022 tour

DCFAN

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

gas was extremely high in either 07 or 8 i think and we had the same discussions. if there is a plus to the way too long and expensive spring break, it's that the corps are not bussing everywhere

07 and 08 will be nothing compared with what is on the Horizon if this is not solved. The thing is in the room you know the thing and we know the thing you know its the thing. 

Just an old OGC person who has lived it and knows it and the future is HIGH. 

12 hours ago, DCFAN said:

As the situation in Ukraine worsens, I believe that the next sanction will be shutting of Russian oil and gas.  If that happens the price of gas and oil will rise to a level that will make it tough to tour.   In some places like California where the price is approaching $6 + you may be looking at $8 gas and close to $9 diesel.  Some analysts are saying $6 on average is possible.   It is not a good year to have raised the membership to 165. It may be smarter to reduce the membership that can fit on 3 buses and eliminate props and the size of the pits.  The goal would be to reduce the size of the fleet which would reduce both insurance and fuel cost.  DCI got creative last year maybe it's time to start thinking about some alternate plans.  Remember it's not just the corps but also impact fans to make a very expensive trip just to attend a show.  For me I was spending less than $40 to fill my gas tank which holds only 15 gallons, now it is costing close to $70.

well i saw several governments releasing reserves which may help. luckily the US only seems to get about 4-6% of its gas from Russia

3 hours ago, Swamptihs said:

07 and 08 will be nothing compared with what is on the Horizon if this is not solved. The thing is in the room you know the thing and we know the thing you know its the thing. 

Just an old OGC person who has lived it and knows it and the future is HIGH. 

we said that then. at that time i remember paying $4.50 a gallon at its peak. right now, even with PA's gas tax, i'm only at $3.79.

17 hours ago, DCFAN said:

As the situation in Ukraine worsens, I believe that the next sanction will be shutting of Russian oil and gas.  If that happens the price of gas and oil will rise to a level that will make it tough to tour.   In some places like California where the price is approaching $6 + you may be looking at $8 gas and close to $9 diesel.  Some analysts are saying $6 on average is possible.   It is not a good year to have raised the membership to 165. It may be smarter to reduce the membership that can fit on 3 buses and eliminate props and the size of the pits.  The goal would be to reduce the size of the fleet which would reduce both insurance and fuel cost.  DCI got creative last year maybe it's time to start thinking about some alternate plans.  Remember it's not just the corps but also impact fans to make a very expensive trip just to attend a show.  For me I was spending less than $40 to fill my gas tank which holds only 15 gallons, now it is costing close to $70.

The 165 limit is to accomodate three full 55 seat buses; it is actually more economical to fill every seat.  If any of the corps have buses that are fewer than 55 seaters,  than the adjustment can be made accordingly.  Eliminating (or at least greatly reducing) props would be helpful....there are corps that literally had a semi just to carry those, and I know of one corps that was begging for money to stay afloat that also spent $80,000 on props that same year.  The World oil situation is severe, and I don't know what the answer is there short of taking every step to max our own oil production, and greatly stepping up electric car production, and try to bring down the costs of those vehicles as well.  At this juncture, it would be unfair to tell a kid in the pit, who has traveled for auditions and paid fees just like everyone else, that you are cutting back so they are out.  Future considerations?  Absolutely, especially if you can cut out one truck.....I think that 10 people (or less)  total instead of 20 is a reasonable reduction goal.  If our government does not do all that they can to reduce fuel prices, not just corps, but our entire economy is going to be slammed.......all forms of vacation/leisure travel are going to be impacted, including corps excursions,

as people are just going to stay home.  I just hope and pray that a maniacal leader can be ousted before starting WW3 (one that nobody will win).

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

we said that then. at that time i remember paying $4.50 a gallon at its peak. right now, even with PA's gas tax, i'm only at $3.79.

I have worked in the industry for over 30 years, its going to peak higher and your previous example of 07 and 08 are not close if this continues in the direction its going now. 

Edited by Swamptihs

48 minutes ago, Swamptihs said:

I have worked in the industry for over 30 years, its going to peak higher and your previous example of 07 and 08 are not close if this continues in the direction its going now. 

Not to mention, releasing 30 million gallons of reserves amounts to about a day and a half of consumption in the US.  

12 hours ago, Swamptihs said:

it may...who knows. the world situation right now is way too crazy to predict anything.

in the last 4 days mortgage rates went up .375%, down .5 and back up .375%. in fact rates went up 3 times today eliminating yesterdays gains.

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

it may...who knows. the world situation right now is way too crazy to predict anything.

in the last 4 days mortgage rates went up .375%, down .5 and back up .375%. in fact rates went up 3 times today eliminating yesterdays gains.

True, but I don't see anything on the horizon that would suggest prices will come down any time in the foreseeable future.