Surf Organization Responds To Membership Challenges By Lowering 2022 Drum Corps Participation Expenses By $1000

As you already figured out, costs for a lot of things have gone up since the late 90s.  College tuition is a decent comparison to DCI costs, I think.  Kids are paying triple what I paid for tuition and board in the early 00s.  

Love that Surf's making it easier for kids to do.  I wouldn't have been able to afford it when I was in my late teens or early 20s, that's for sure.  

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

I think it’s great that Surf has reduced fees and I’m not surprised that Surf is making this effort. I hope this will be enough of a reduction. A $1,000 reduction is significant and generous, but it may still be a huge hurdle, especially with inflation. The reduction could help Surf retain members who have already been accepted. The temptation to jump ship this year could be huge. As has been noted in other posts and I believe a few comments in this thread, numbers are down. My understanding is that 165 members is not easy for even some of the higher placing corps. Where momentum from the previous year plays such a huge part, corps that have not fielded since 2019 are at a huge disadvantage. A person I spoke with a few weeks ago told me that for some corps this year is like starting from scratch.

I hope this will benefit Surf. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shostahoosier said:
3 hours ago, DrummerParent said:

No. I think the problem is that the $5000 drum corps experience costs performers $5000.

Then why aren’t performers clamoring for open class spots at half the cost?  Taking Surf for example, they don’t have expensive props, their staff is volunteer, instructional staff paid a little, design team under market price.  It costs $800,000 to put the corps on the road.  That’s $5000 per member for a full corps or else that money has to come from somewhere else (donations, bingo operations, souvenir sales, sponsorships, etc).  

9 minutes ago, DrummerParent said:

Then why aren’t performers clamoring for open class spots at half the cost?  

Same as it has always been - because most kids want to perform with the big names that DCI highlights to the world, at big shows, and in general won't consider anyone else if they don't make it?

Mike

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Same as it has always been - because most kids want to perform with the big names that DCI highlights to the world, at big shows, and in general won't consider anyone else if they don't make it?

Mike

Exactly.  Lowering costs = lowering the experience / expectations.  People complain about the price but that’s what it takes for the experience they want.  

20 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Mike

“That DCI highlights to the world” Bingo….. Push the “names” and shoot yourself in the foot when the other corps have issues because of it 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Mike

Mine marched five seasons in a Division 2 corps and he probably would have stayed there for the last four seasons but the big dog had to eat so the little dog got sent to the vet and put down.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, DrummerParent said:

Then why aren’t performers clamoring for open class spots at half the cost?  Taking Surf for example, they don’t have expensive props, their staff is volunteer, instructional staff paid a little, design team under market price.  It costs $800,000 to put the corps on the road.  That’s $5000 per member for a full corps or else that money has to come from somewhere else (donations, bingo operations, souvenir sales, sponsorships, etc).  

A big reason is that WC and OC offer different experiences. In WC, most young people who march want the full drum corps experience from auditioning, being offered a contract, moving ins in May, the tour, and hopefully making finals. For OC, the reasons for marching can be more varied. Some college students may need to work for at least part of the summer, some may want to experience drum corps but not in as intense way as some WC corps. For some OC is more age appropriate, some are not ready for the WC level. 

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

A big reason is that WC and OC offer different experiences

You’re making my point.  Kids want the $5000 experience but don’t want / can’t pay for it.  Someone has to pay for it- why not the people that are doing it?  Donors and other revenue sources help but it’s kind of selfish for people to expect others to donate or raise money so their costs aren’t so high.  The whole drum corps needs to reduce costs to attract more people isn’t supported by the evidence or else open class would be full.

1 hour ago, DrummerParent said:

You’re making my point.  Kids want the $5000 experience but don’t want / can’t pay for it.  Someone has to pay for it- why not the people that are doing it?  Donors and other revenue sources help but it’s kind of selfish for people to expect others to donate or raise money so their costs aren’t so high.  The whole drum corps needs to reduce costs to attract more people isn’t supported by the evidence or else open class would be full.

Sounds like a thread topic “how can corps reduce costs”. But other than get rid of props with is probably a low percentage of total costs, what can be chopped or reduced.

• Like 1