Surf Organization Responds To Membership Challenges By Lowering 2022 Drum Corps Participation Expenses By $1000

8 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I get ya...totally I think accessibility , especially at a  high level of the activity could be a thing of the past. Now corps have created programs to help some members BUT the pendulum  would have to swing in alot more aspects in the world in general to make a significant change. Sad maybe but true I think. The shoe string many corps existed on is literally gone today

I hate using the phrase because it's so overused...........but model of Drum Corps we grew up with may no longer be "sustainable"

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I hate using the phrase because it's so overused...........but model of Drum Corps we grew up with may no longer be "sustainable"

Yeah, so true.. Don't get me wrong I love todays drum corps. Although I have taught judged , directed through this all , personally I would have loved to perform in todays drum corps BUT you could be right.

Wow, people complaining about staff pay.  As someone teaching brass for over 15 years, I don’t know anyone doing this for the money.  Most teaching staff get paid by the number of days they teach now instead of arbitrary amounts. Overall budget for my caption has grown very little in the past 15 years.  

Large staffs are limited by the size of the vehicles.  Yes, there’s more people on staff but still only 3-4 people on the road for our brass staff at a time.  People rotate out more which is much healthier than people staying on for 80 days straight and getting burnt out.  I made $37 a day last year and I know my peers in some of the other top corps are not much higher. I guess that’s the issue.  Whoever is doing this for the money is making a bad life choice.   

• Like 3

4 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

1974-1975 rode with some BoD members and heard about costs of a corps trying to get back on the field.

2000s with an Alumni type corps as they tried to have complete set of matched (Same manufacturer for each voice) 3vs. They did it but it was piece by piece over a period of years. Not workable for competing corps.

Cost of equipment is major factor in killing chance of forming a new corps imo. And that’s just the big difference (besides insurance and background checks that didn’t exist then) that I’m closely aware of. 

Add that to the DCI mentality of only big corps should exist (and let’s make them bigger after a year off and a truncated year) makes it non sustainable 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 hours ago, rmurrey74 said:

Wow, people complaining about staff pay.  As someone teaching brass for over 15 years, I don’t know anyone doing this for the money.  Most teaching staff get paid by the number of days they teach now instead of arbitrary amounts. Overall budget for my caption has grown very little in the past 15 years.  

Large staffs are limited by the size of the vehicles.  Yes, there’s more people on staff but still only 3-4 people on the road for our brass staff at a time.  People rotate out more which is much healthier than people staying on for 80 days straight and getting burnt out.  I made $37 a day last year and I know my peers in some of the other top corps are not much higher. I guess that’s the issue.  Whoever is doing this for the money is making a bad life choice.   

I don't think pointing things out or a reason  has to mean complaining..Just pointing out the difference today .  Cost is far more than just staff . If you are a caption head or a tech. If youre on the road  80 days or 7 doesnt compare to the $$$$$$ to just be on the road period. This is something un avoidable in todays world IMO . As pointed out, even dance programs for kids can cost thousands without, travel, food, lodging etc etc. Just a different world and very different times.

Decades ago corps had to sometimes get creative just to get to the next week ( and there were corps who didn't ) Today in that respect is no different, they just need to be more creative ALOT more to survive. Different times

You are right though about what can be burn out. It can be grueling to be out on tour after a while, especially with other commitments and that's just another example how different the activity and the world is today.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rmurrey74 said:

I had no idea what staff makes these days, so thank you for chiming in and for your contribution to the activity. 

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Add that to the DCI mentality of only big corps should exist (and let’s make them bigger after a year off and a truncated year) makes it non sustainable 

Fact check.................TRUE!!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rmurrey74 said:

Came here to say the same thing. I know of a WC corps where staff pay a few years ago worked out to $15/day... and those were the dedicated staff members who restructured as much of their personal lives as possible to be on tour as many continuous days as possible. Sure it's nice getting free food and shelter all summer, but those techs still have to cover costs back home like rent, student loans, and other bills while they were away. Even with staff actually getting paid nowadays instead of being volunteers, it's still a net financial deficit for them compared to what they could be getting off of tour.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Year Fiver said:

Came here to say the same thing. I know of a WC corps where staff pay a few years ago worked out to $15/day... and those were the dedicated staff members who restructured as much of their personal lives as possible to be on tour as many continuous days as possible. Sure it's nice getting free food and shelter all summer, but those techs still have to cover costs back home like rent, student loans, and other bills while they were away. Even with staff actually getting paid nowadays instead of being volunteers, it's still a net financial deficit for them compared to what they could be getting off of tour.

A good tech is worth their weight in $$$$$$$ Beyond design they make it all work and look great. Never enough credit for them.

I guess I should have been more specific that you will find many techs getting paid a minimum sum. I know there are many working out there for the love of the activity and to get more experience.  It’s the designers and certain caption heads that are making some good buck.  Don’t get me wrong, if you’re one of the best in the business, you deserve what you can negotiate.  Let’s not kid ourselves though that some are indeed making some $$.  My fault and apologies though for lumping everyone into one bag.  We should not ignore though that personnel costs is another factor when it comes to sustaining today’s corps.  If we cannot look at all facets of what is driving today’s cost of the activity then I guess we will not learn from it.  

• Like 1