Surf Organization Responds To Membership Challenges By Lowering 2022 Drum Corps Participation Expenses By $1000

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I won’t name Corps but I have seen several Corps with 3 & even 4 trucks.  

Cadets had a pickup and a trailer just for electronics in 2014.  Jim drove it for 16 days. As a volunteer.   He used two weeks of his employer-paid vacation. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DrummerParent said:

So you have no ideas that would decrease the cost an amount that would substantively make the activity more affordable.  I’m not against your ideas, particularly props.  I don’t think there’s a savings in uniforms.  I just don’t think the reduction in tuition would be anywhere near enough to make any real change in cost.  With zero props, corps would still rely on money outside of member tuition to fund them for the year.

I don't work for DCI. I am critiquing what I see. That YOU don't think what I presented is a great idea is not really for you to decide. It's not for me to decide. If DCI wants to continue to bring new people into the fold, they'd be smart to look at ways to reign in the costs to march. Otherwise, drum corps will continue to be a niche activity, and while I applaud the fact that they've survived the pandemic, things may not be so easy next time. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

The Bluecoats roll into Indy. 

Saturday Morning CarTune: Convoy | Mac's Motor City Garage

Bluecoats lead semi is a "livestock" trailer?  Do they process their own meat on tour?  Filet anyone, medium rare? :spitting: 

"When you're riding to your death, you only want the best.  EBY Heartland...

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Some of the more prop / electronics - heavy productions require more than 2 trucks total.

Drum Corps, esp. in the olden days,  had all kinds of restrictive rules regarding instrumentation, timing, boundaries, Flag code and more.  So it is nothing new to have restrictions on design.  

Implementing a tractor-trailer maximum would not only lower logistics costs.  It would also help level the playing field between the relatively few cash-rich Corps and those who are struggling to make ends meet while trying to remain competitive.  It would make the show designers work within logistical limits.  What is more important - 8 big speakers, or a scaffold prop, 20 tubas (vs a lesser number), or a pit with 8 marimbas?  Let each Corps address it as they see fit, versus a few Corps selecting 'all of the above', and others spending money they really can't afford to maintain their position in an arms race. 

A local winter percussion program are hosting extra social media fundraisers due to the fuel cost increase & they had to purchase their own tractor to pull their equipment trailer.  There were 'zero' tractors available to lease this winter.  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Bluecoats lead semi is a "livestock" trailer?  Do they process their own meat on tour?  Filet anyone, medium rare? :spitting: 

Notice there are no buses in that convoy 😈. Jest sayin’

14 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I know about these - not detailed enough for the analysis I am advocating 

well unfortunately you'd need a corps to willingly open the books for all to see. only problem is there may be some HR sensitive stuff that may not need to be seen by the entire world.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tim K said:

I think your original post quote was a bit high, however sports camps are usually one, perhaps two weeks. Drum corps is anywhere from 12-14 weeks for WC, 8-12 weeks for OC and that varies widely. You’re looking at $350-$450 per week for drum corps. The only sports camps I know of cater to middle school to high school kids and run from $500-$750, maybe $1,000 for camps for high school students that promise college scouts. That’s often not including room and board for those not commuting. That would make sports camps more expensive than a week in drum corps.

ok so i gave some examples that run a grand or higher for a week. DCI is 5k for May to August. so on a weekly basis, the cost of DCI is often less than many of these sports camps, and other examples out there.

now could DCi cut some costs? Sure you don't see me justifying the cost at all, even if that doesnt fit the picture you want to make when you reply to me, and as i'll say again, i've been bringing up the added cost of spring training for a while now.

but even on the cheap end, i saw many sports camps with housing, food etc say down to $500 a week. you mention above 12-14 weeks for WC. ok so $5000/12 is $417 a week. that includes food, housing, fuel ( which sports camps dont have), insurance, medical staff and administrative costs.

still cheaper. Now lop off 3 weeks of spring training and you'll see it go down more. 

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1