Surf Organization Responds To Membership Challenges By Lowering 2022 Drum Corps Participation Expenses By $1000

13 hours ago, DrummerParent said:

That’s been mentioned ad nauseum.  The “costumes” are much less expensive that traditional uniforms- works out to about the same cost over time.  Costumes only last one year.  Some of us may prefer one over the other but cost isn’t the issue.

Props can be significant and in some cases the transportation can be even more.  Still, corps that don’t use substantial props need more money to operate than member dues alone.

many uniforms and flags and props and even instruments get sold after the season. Trust me, my wife works for Guard Closet, and i've logged many trips to the UPS store dropping off boxes filled with uniforms and flags that started with drum corps. and the corps get a set percentage of the sales price if sold within 3 years. Heck we just shipped 5 huge boxes of shakos out that'll be seen this summer....took both our cars to get it all to the UPS store.

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

many uniforms and flags and props and even instruments get sold after the season.

You’re right- most of the uniforms are useable for another season or two.  The harnesses for drummers do wear some of the uniforms quite a bit but most of the brass, guard, and front are probably in pretty good shape.

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

many uniforms and flags and props and even instruments get sold after the season. Trust me, my wife works for Guard Closet, and i've logged many trips to the UPS store dropping off boxes filled with uniforms and flags that started with drum corps. and the corps get a set percentage of the sales price if sold within 3 years. Heck we just shipped 5 huge boxes of shakos out that'll be seen this summer....took both our cars to get it all to the UPS store.

A Corps with headgear?!?

Be still my pitter-pattering heart.  

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

A Corps with headgear?!?

well they were a few years old. But seriously, several DCI and DCA corps have consigned stuff with GC, and made $$ on it. i know we sed to joke on here about one corps having an early season set of flags then a late season set..well...i can verify it was true LOL

On 3/29/2022 at 9:16 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

A Corps with headgear?!?

Drummers will once again be able to do the infamous shako "bite and shake." 

• Haha 1