Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, And Safety

12 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

It is not just about physical barriers of entry. With all the crap that has been uncovered in DCI over the past few years, starting with my own corps, that should give you a pretty good idea of why this is needed. Inclusion is also about making people feel welcome, respected and cared for, in that they don't have to worry about being harassed or treated unfairly. Just because YOU haven't seen anything happen does not mean things are rainbows and unicorns. 

Goes with my previous post about just because people CAN join doesn’t necessarily mean they would WANT to join.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

It is not just about physical barriers of entry. With all the crap that has been uncovered in DCI over the past few years, starting with my own corps, that should give you a pretty good idea of why this is needed. Inclusion is also about making people feel welcome, respected and cared for, in that they don't have to worry about being harassed or treated unfairly. Just because YOU haven't seen anything happen does not mean things are rainbows and unicorns. 

You have any example other than cavies excluding girls of discriminatory practices? This just seems like more MASIN woke bs

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

You have any example other than cavies excluding girls of discriminatory practices? This just seems like more MASIN woke bs

A lot of the issues I’ve seen (outside of corps) has to do with what goes on behind the scenes and not written policy. More of working with people to change their mistaken opinions of those “different” from them. And making sure management WILL follow through on punishment if people do discriminate or harass because of differences.

My prime example is looking at the IT group I had when I retired which had females, minorities, 2 immigrants and a Muslim. Lot of the group I started with 40 years earlier would have crapped just thinking about it. Hell then they were worried about the first female supervisor.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

19 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

It is not just about physical barriers of entry. With all the crap that has been uncovered in DCI over the past few years, starting with my own corps, that should give you a pretty good idea of why this is needed. 

To be honest, 99% of "all the crap that has been uncovered in DCI over the past few years" has been about sexual abuse.  If there is also a general activity-wide problem with racism, then it would be fair to describe it as "covered up" at this point.

9 hours ago, shostahoosier said:

As welcoming as DCI is, racial diversity has not been one of its strong points. I don't know if "barrier" is the right word.

Then establish an ethnic percentage limit to all potential MM's  If the corps does not adhere to this, then they will not be allowed to tour..  This will end the issue...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

To be honest, 99% of "all the crap that has been uncovered in DCI over the past few years" has been about sexual abuse.  If there is also a general activity-wide problem with racism, then it would be fair to describe it as "covered up" at this point.

I believe there was an example on Reddit from about the same time as the SoA implosion.

23 hours ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

But why

Because it's about diversity, equity, inclusion AND safety.  It's not a single issue focus but a multidimensional look at the complexities of life and the many situations the hundred plus people who live together at spring training and on tour for several months each year come from. It's aims to be a diverse group to let everyone, even unwoke people, have a voice. Celebrate it rather than question it's need when the signs of need are all around.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2022 at 10:40 AM, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

Is this really necessary? Drum corps these days take anyone with a pulse and ability to follow through with the financial obligation. If you haven't noticed there are holes at EVERY corps in almost every section.

I don’t know that there are holes in every corps though I have heard some corps are facing recruiting challenges. If you follow the FB pages of various drum corps groups, you will hear from people who have not been offered a contract and angry parents who have children who have not been offered spots, so I don’t think the everything that breathes and can pay is accurate. I think two years of inactivity for some corps  has more to do with holes than anything else. Also “holes” can be misleading. If you read what some corps are looking for to fill the holes, it is fir members with specific talent with specific skill sets.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

It is also why people stop volunteering for corps. 

• Like 4