Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, And Safety

2 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

15%! lol 12% is considered excellent, and you are aiming for 15%. Not likely, especially in the current environment. Sometimes it's better to have the life experiences, especially when you're young, but I do appreciate the value of saving as well. I just think this is the wrong time in the world to be thinking 15% annual returns are going to happen.

My father-in-law's retirement portfolio has averaged better than 15% over the course of 40 years (closer to 20% actually.)  It can be done with effort and the right analysis tools.  🤑

Just now, Tenoris4Jazz said:

My father-in-law's retirement portfolio has averaged better than 15% over the course of 40 years (closer to 20% actually.)  It can be done with effort and the right analysis tools.  🤑

That's absolutely awesome! I just don't think it's typical.

5 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

But I think to blame all of it on diversity, inclusion, and misconduct would be inaccurate.

These factors affect all things.

They affect how administration reacts to rising costs of housing and transportation.

We've already seen that these things affect how administrators handle the pandemic.

The increase in marching members is a bit of stretch, but still, when most of DCI leadership is still predominantly male and white, then decision making is homogenized. When that happens, diversity of thought is squashed. Who on earth thought that INCREASING this threshold was a good idea when live performance attendance has been trending down for decades across the USA?

We know that these factors directly affect abuse, reputation, and mismanagement. And I hope the mistreatment throughout the activity DOES scare away some young people who would otherwise be vulnerable in the hands of under-trained, compassion-less staffers. Sometimes that's the only way to learn to stop hurting the kids. And, if the end result is kids not getting hurt, then I'm for it.

2 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

That's absolutely awesome! I just don't think it's typical.

Well, no.  But you'd better believe my kids will know how to invest money!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

There is an ongoing discussion in the ‘Four years ago….’ thread

Appreciate your pointing it out, but I'm not on here as often anymore to know this. 

5 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Absolutely.

In this case, the groupthink is systemic.  The elitism demands more exclusivity to protect it.  The exclusivity breeds purer elitism.  And those two sentences form a repeating loop.  Structural change will be required to break that cycle.

Me too... but I have been preaching to a tiny choir for years about how corps/events being far fewer but slightly larger (at best) is not a good tradeoff.  Most responses just point to press releases about cherry-picked "record attendance".

Cheers. :beer:

11 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

Change is inevitable. This activity has changed dramatically over the past 60-70 years, and what were witnessing today is one of the most impactful changes we've ever seen. It's really the perfect storm. But I think to blame all of it on diversity, inclusion, and misconduct would be inaccurate. Yes, I think those reasons are part of it, but there are other factors at play, including:

The economy and the rising costs of membership fees. You wanna march with a top tier corps and have A-List designers and instructors, you're going to pay$5-$7k, Back in the 80's you could march with a top 12 corps for $250 a season.

The pandemic. The world has changed more in the past two years than maybe in anytime in recent history. I really think the pandemic has forced a lot of people to rethink many things in their lives, and it also gave us the opportunity to live for a few years without drum corps. We've essentially missed two entire seasons of competition, and getting those kids back that didn't march those two years is proving to be more problematic than though. The students are not rushing back to be part of the activity, and it could take a few years to gain momentum.

The increase to 160+ Competitors. You have to wonder if DCI was still at 128 competitors per unit, if we would be seeing the same issues filling up corps rosters. It could be that the numbers aren't as bad as we think, rather, we're just being too ambitious.

Abuse incidents, reputation, mismanagement, etc. While this is something that has had an impact, I don't know if its had the impact that a lot of us think it has. I do think its going to take a few more years for us to really know how much this has impacted the activity, but my guess is this would push students who want to march to other organizations, not necessarily keep them away.

a perfect summation.