Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, And Safety

9 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

If I had a kid considering marching, these two would make me have to say "No".  That $5k would be a downpayment on a house by the time they were ready to buy, and... well, unless they're allowed to carry a taser with them the entire time they're with the corps, that's another reason they're not going.

let me know where you're buying real estate where $5k is a down payment, cause i'll advertise my lending services there day and night

• Haha 1

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

let me know where you're buying real estate where $5k is a down payment, cause i'll advertise my lending services there day and night

It might not still be the case, but in the metro Atlanta area for about 10-15 years, all it took to buy a home was 1%-2% down.  In some cases I read, they rolled the 2% downpayment into the loan and so all the buyers paid for were closing costs.

6 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

These factors affect all things.

They affect how administration reacts to rising costs of housing and transportation.

We've already seen that these things affect how administrators handle the pandemic.

The increase in marching members is a bit of stretch, but still, when most of DCI leadership is still predominantly male and white, then decision making is homogenized. When that happens, diversity of thought is squashed. Who on earth thought that INCREASING this threshold was a good idea when live performance attendance has been trending down for decades across the USA?

We know that these factors directly affect abuse, reputation, and mismanagement. And I hope the mistreatment throughout the activity DOES scare away some young people who would otherwise be vulnerable in the hands of under-trained, compassion-less staffers. Sometimes that's the only way to learn to stop hurting the kids. And, if the end result is kids not getting hurt, then I'm for it.

homogenized thinking has little to do with sexual preference or race. i'm a straight white male and i don't think like many other straight white males, as i am somewhat conservative on some things and very liberal on others. trying to stereotype like that really kills the rest of your argument.

because the thought on membership going up was all about revenue, without any serious thought on the costs. sexual preference and gender have nothing to do with that as many people regardless of sexual preference or race are stupid as hell with finances

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Absolutely.

In this case, the groupthink is systemic.  The elitism demands more exclusivity to protect it.  The exclusivity breeds purer elitism.  And those two sentences form a repeating loop.  Structural change will be required to break that cycle.

Me too... but I have been preaching to a tiny choir for years about how corps/events being far fewer but slightly larger (at best) is not a good tradeoff.  Most responses just point to press releases about cherry-picked "record attendance".

agreed. called this out too, and it got me blocked on DCI's Facebook page

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

It might not still be the case, but in the metro Atlanta area for about 10-15 years, all it took to buy a home was 1%-2% down.  In some cases I read, they rolled the 2% downpayment into the loan and so all the buyers paid for were closing costs.

and thats why the mortgage industry helped wreck the economy in 2008. Read Too Big To Fail

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and thats why the mortgage industry helped wreck the economy in 2008. Read Too Big To Fail

Tell me about it!  I was working for BlueLinx (biggest building materials wholesaler in the US) from 2005 to 2012.  We starting feeling the effects of the housing crash in 2006.  By 2008 were in the middle of a full fledged meltdown.

37 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Tell me about it!  I was working for BlueLinx (biggest building materials wholesaler in the US) from 2005 to 2012.  We starting feeling the effects of the housing crash in 2006.  By 2008 were in the middle of a full fledged meltdown.

i started feeling it in 07. i started in subprime, and moved out of subprime that year, but the company still but the bullet