Talent level 

I attend my first WGI Drum Line show in Rancho Cucamonga CA this past weekend.  I was only a wanna-be drummer, but I noticed a few things.  There was a lack of basic rudiments at all levels and rolls were extremely tight, too tight. 

However, the talent level was unreal!  Who needs rudiments!?  They were like nothing I could have imagined.  Many of these kids were 14/15, and played like confident-seasoned Drum Corps veterans.  And they played so fast!  I had no idea it was such a production; large video screens, massive (but useful) props, and lots of electronics.  Chino Hills High School really stood out.

I marched with some legendary drummers and many of these kids are going to be just as good if not better, far younger.  They must pick up sticks as soon as they can walk.

actually if you saw the notation of what was played, you'd see many rudiments, just not in the ways your era presented them

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Still my all-time favorite, except today they do these at about 180 BPM. 

Swiss Army Triplets | Phatman Drums

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually if you saw the notation of what was played, you'd see many rudiments, just not in the ways your era presented them

That is 1,000,000% correct. Writers/arrangers have gotten increasingly creative in the production of the percussion books (battery and front) at all levels (high school, WGI, and DCI). It is always interesting to watch videos on YouTube, etc. to be able to dive deeper into what is being played and see what is actually in the book. It is even better when one of my high school percussionists shows me a video and then you can point out different rudiments, and hybrid rudiments, that are being utilized.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Hmmmm, ok.  But a friend with us marched in Bridgemen (snare) during two years they won high drums.  He intimated the same unless I heard him out of context....?

I can't argue the point as I'm not a drummer, just a marginal horn player.  Main point is these kids are very good at a very young age.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Hmmmm, ok.  But a friend with us marched in Bridgemen (snare) during two years they won high drums.  He intimated the same unless I heard him out of context....?

I can't argue the point as I'm not a drummer, just a marginal horn player.  Main point is these kids are very good at a very young age.

they're there. it's how they are presented now. trust me, you'll see and hear flam drags, drags, paradiddles, paradiddlediddles, 5 7 and 9 strokes....and as mentioned above all of the hybrids. see the tempos now means they have be written differently but still achieve the same results, and they do. Plus now that stuff isn't just in the snare voice like days of old, but all throughout the battery...even the cymbals!

• Like 1

I'm assuming a paradiddle done on a cymbal.  Although it might be interesting to see what a cymbal player doing a paradiddle feature solo might look like.

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

they're there. it's how they are presented now. trust me, you'll see and hear flam drags, drags, paradiddles, paradiddlediddles, 5 7 and 9 strokes....and as mentioned above all of the hybrids. see the tempos now means they have be written differently but still achieve the same results, and they do. Plus now that stuff isn't just in the snare voice like days of old, but all throughout the battery...even the cymbals!

Yes, I believe you.  I just didn't recognize it.

And cymbals were featured by Chino Hills H.S. They did this thing where they tucked one end against their body and "clanked" the other end like bass drummers doing a run. Incredible.  

I may need to review my rigid dogma of what is, and it not, "Drum Corps."  

2 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

I'm assuming a paradiddle done on a cymbal.  Although it might be interesting to see what a cymbal player doing a paradiddle feature solo might look like.

I think I saw it last Sunday.  Not a single cymbal, but a line of cymbals like a bass drum line.