Talent level 

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I think I saw it last Sunday.  Not a single cymbal, but a line of cymbals like a bass drum line. 

yup! plate lines split stuff like basses do, but obviously not quite as densely as basses can do. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I think I saw it last Sunday.  Not a single cymbal, but a line of cymbals like a bass drum line. 

I've not kept up with WGI this year.  I should check it out Chino Hills and Alaya are the scholastic lines that tend to innovate a ton.

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yup! plate lines split stuff like basses do, but obviously not quite as densely as basses can do. 

Cymbal players aren’t as dense as bass players? 😈

Too bad Bill Ives isn’t on DCP (far as I know).

• Haha 1

Just now, IllianaLancerContra said:

Density in percussionists is a matter of degree.

😎

One of the few times I can back at Jeff for all the short jokes he throws my way. 😆😆😆😆😆

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2022 at 11:57 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

I marched with some legendary drummers and many of these kids are going to be just as good if not better, far younger.  They must pick up sticks as soon as they can walk.

That may not be that far from the truth. I can recall a number of years back attending a seminar about integrating music in the classroom outside of formal music class. This would have been at the time teachers were encouraged to teach across the curriculum which often included reading, math, social studies and science but left out the arts. One recommendation at the time that if a child was always tapping on desks, books, etc., if the school offered band, suggesting the child the learn to the drums was often a good idea. The theory is that many children pick instruments that match their personalities and tapping or mimicking how they perceived drummers are signs of budding percussionists. Maybe these kids were tapping away at the desks in the third or fourth grade.

12 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

I've not kept up with WGI this year.  I should check it out Chino Hills and Alaya are the scholastic lines that tend to innovate a ton.

Ayala was very good too, but not Chino Hills level good.  Ayala wore complete mesh head and face coverings, which made me wonder how they were able to see or breath.  

I thought high school music programs especially in CA. were at low funding levels.  Someone is shelling out a TON of money.

Forgot to mention my pet peeve; oversized pits.  They were all huge.  One group had 19 vibraphones, marimbas, and xylophones.  🙄

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

That may not be that far from the truth. I can recall a number of years back attending a seminar about integrating music in the classroom outside of formal music class. This would have been at the time teachers were encouraged to teach across the curriculum which often included reading, math, social studies and science but left out the arts. One recommendation at the time that if a child was always tapping on desks, books, etc., if the school offered band, suggesting the child the learn to the drums was often a good idea. The theory is that many children pick instruments that match their personalities and tapping or mimicking how they perceived drummers are signs of budding percussionists. Maybe these kids were tapping away at the desks in the third or fourth grade.

I do believe I saw a bunch of future Tom Floats and Ralph Hardimons running around.  

15 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Dartmuth too

14 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Cymbal players aren’t as dense as bass players? 😈

Too bad Bill Ives isn’t on DCP (far as I know).

you do remember i know where you live right?

• Haha 2