Talent level 

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

In the 70’s, we rehearsed for three hours an evening in the summer three or four days a week with weekend shows.  They have a lot more rehearsal time now.  Truth be told, I’d never do drum corps now.  I had an outside life in summer besides drum corps.   We had a week off mid season so I could hang with my normal friends. No way would I devote my entire summer to this.  Sorry, but I just wouldn’t.

We were mostly hobby players who accomplished pretty much considering we had limited rehearsal time and a short trip at the end of the season.

But you cats were still awesome LOL. I think one of the single biggest changes is drill. Even from what I marched, the drill today is phenomenally difficult. I would have broken both hips and died if I had to do what these kids do now. 

I think the brass lines of "days gone by" were just as good as the lines of today. There are some who will probably disagree (and not being a brass player I don't have a leg to stand on as proof beyond my two old ears.) Percussion in both front ensemble and battery are at a higher level IMHO (especially front ensemble.) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

But you cats were still awesome LOL. I think one of the single biggest changes is drill. Even from what I marched, the drill today is phenomenally difficult. I would have broken both hips and died if I had to do what these kids do now. 

I think the brass lines of "days gone by" were just as good as the lines of today. There are some who will probably disagree (and not being a brass player I don't have a leg to stand on as proof beyond my two old ears.) Percussion in both front ensemble and battery are at a higher level IMHO (especially front ensemble.) 

We didn’t have a front ensemble my last year. Four young woman carried keyboards and five guys carried timpani my last year.  The rules allowed the timpani to be grounded after concert that year and the other four guys went on cymbals.  They were not amused. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

We didn’t have a front ensemble my last year. Four young woman carried keyboards and five guys carried timpani my last year.  The rules allowed the timpani to be grounded after concert that year and the other four guys went on cymbals.  They were not amused. 

My father asked me once when the "pit" became a thing so I explained it to him (although before my time marching.) I think that conversation took place because my HS still had some old crank Ludwig fiberglass marching tymp. I thought to myself during that conversation "Man...how ###### would you be if you missed the grounding rule by a year." I never did understand the rule that shows had to start with all players back field. Even in HS (1986) we were experimenting with "scatter drill" to start the show. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I never did understand the rule that shows had to start with all players back field. 

Me too.

For decades, corps began on the left end line and finished on the right end line.  While creativity was limited, there was a certain efficiency to having the next corps lined up and ready to go the instant a corps finished.  They started doing away with that in the early 1970s, but it took most of the decade before they finally just let a corps start anywhere on the field.

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

In the 70’s, we rehearsed for three hours an evening in the summer three or four days a week with weekend shows.  They have a lot more rehearsal time now.  Truth be told, I’d never do drum corps now.  I had an outside life in summer besides drum corps.   We had a week off mid season so I could hang with my normal friends. No way would I devote my entire summer to this.  Sorry, but I just wouldn’t.

We were mostly hobby players who accomplished pretty much considering we had limited rehearsal time and a short trip at the end of the season.

Standrews were my "normal" friends. Our nights off were spent together at the Chapel. Year round.

• Like 1