Drums Along The Waterfront (Buffalo)

7 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Of course it's designed for conventions because there is nothing else to do. And DCI and Boa are not conventions.

I would say it functions like a convention from the industry point of view.  As do things like the FInal Four when they host.  It boils down to, "People come to the city for the event but then a few side things we might lure them to for some additional local business bucks."  

The problem is, BOA and DCI are annually in the same location, so unlike the Final Four or the Frozen Four (NCAA Hockey), the people who go to the event every year get tired fo the limited side trip options and it feels more stale. 

I follow college hockey which has a commensurate "extreme niche" fandom like DCI.  There are people who prebuy Frozen Four ticket packages every year the moment they go on sale with the intent of going no matter who is in it or where it is.  Unlike DCI though the site changes every year, with some 'frequent cities' where built in attendence is garunteed like Boston. But also 'convention cities' at times.  Its interesting seeing the conversations about location preferences because the 'things to do on the off day between' are as important as the games in some regard for preference of host city.  They're going either way cause they're going for the game but "i like when ___ hosts" lies in both the facility for the event AND the side trip options.  

Interestingly, when DC hosted, it got positive reviews by and large but there were "too many" things to choose from and since it's in the spring (this weekend) the DC things are typically also starting to jam up with spring tourism.  Other places are unpopular because its been there often enough that people are 'tired of that city.'  And some places where, "eh, there's really nothing to do in the off day."  

I think the issue with Indy is that it's perfectly fine for occassional visits when the focus is something happening there rather than the location itself.  It's just not a place you'd choose to visit annually for anything else, so the side options get stale.  

That said, DCI isn't going to a rotating location model becuase, unlike college hockey where "a rink is a rink and there's a number of cities with NHL or large minor leage rinks to work with that can handle four teams coming in."   DCI has to look for a stadium that can easily handle the logistics of all those corps coming in with bodies and equipment.  That's a different venue demand.  While there's plenty of NFL domes out there, not all are situatied to handle it as easily as Indy nor are the accoustics something that are worked out and familiar to corps for their sound design.   Since DCI IS the corps, the directors aren't about to vote for a rotating thing where they've got to roll the dice on their sound design for a new environment, set up new housing and rehersal locations for all the corps, etc. etc.  They've got their contacts in Indy and will use them.

• Like 2

There is actually a phenomenal underground party scene in Indy and some really crazy stuff goes down there.  It’s frequented by celebrities, movers, shakers, royalty, former presidents, and more than a few of the upper echelon of the Illuminati.  But it is a fiercely guarded secret that only the cool people know about and, as they say, if you have to ask, you aren’t one.  

That’s really all I can say.  

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Of course it's designed for conventions because there is nothing else to do. And DCI and Boa are not conventions.

well yeah they are. a large number of folks attending? Check. sells many hotel rooms? check. brings in a lot of money to the local economy? Check.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, skevinp said:

There is actually a phenomenal underground party scene in Indy and some really crazy stuff goes down there.  It’s frequented by celebrities, movers, shakers, royalty, former presidents, and more than a few of the upper echelon of the Illuminati.  But it is a fiercely guarded secret that only the cool people know about and, as they say, if you have to ask, you aren’t one.  

I've heard there's an unmarked stop for access on the subway?  Do you have the location? :dancin:

15 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

I would say it functions like a convention from the industry point of view.  As do things like the FInal Four when they host.  It boils down to, "People come to the city for the event but then a few side things we might lure them to for some additional local business bucks."  

The problem is, BOA and DCI are annually in the same location, so unlike the Final Four or the Frozen Four (NCAA Hockey), the people who go to the event every year get tired fo the limited side trip options and it feels more stale. 

Agree to it functions like a convention,  (See definition of convention.)  I even receive CEUs as I do for Mid-West, PASIC, BOA, WGI, & my state's music convention.  Just because it's not listed as an "inservice" doesn't mean it's not valuable.  As an music educator, the DCI Championship week is probably my one of my top resources for rehearsal techniques, show design, "recharging the batteries", & most important, "motivation".  

I actually don't have any extra time to go to the Indiana State Fair, Zoo, or what ever else Indy has to offer.  (I did try to attend the Dave Matthews concert last year but failed.  I did see him & Carter in my hotel.)  I attend a few corps rehearsals, I&E, & 3 full days of performances.  For me, there's only time left to sleep, eat, drink, & be merry.  

:babies:  :guinesssmilie:       

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, skevinp said:

The underground must be very deep or we walked over it and didn’t even notice!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

The underground must be very deep or we walked over it and didn’t even notice!

Over the course of my adult life, I’ve lived in three different cities that have some kind of commercial development underground. So that is actually a thing, believe it or not! 

• Like 3