Four years ago today the Drum Corps world exploded

13 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I gave you detail because you asked for a definition.

I put the words from the Jeff Ream post in quotes so that you could see where I get that level of detail from.

My intent is to be clear, not huffy.

Then I misread “do I even need to point out the problems with that?”.  Came out condescending…

19 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Then I misread “do I even need to point out the problems with that?”.  Came out condescending…

I just did not want to go further into the weeds on the problems inherent with entrusting a central agency (in this case, DCI) with sole responsibility for member safety.  For instance, that DCI treats member corps and non-member corps differently.  Or that DCI has an enormous conflict of interest that would cause them to grant greater leeway to top corps, while blackballing prospective corps for ever speaking out of turn.  Or that DCI has no standing to tell external organizations how to operate (i.e. some "corps" are actually multi-program youth arts orgs where only one of the programs is a DCI corps).

Did not want to distract from the main point - every corps needs to handle member safety.

6 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I just did not want to go further into the weeds on the problems inherent with entrusting a central agency (in this case, DCI) with sole responsibility for member safety.  For instance, that DCI treats member corps and non-member corps differently.  Or that DCI has an enormous conflict of interest that would cause them to grant greater leeway to top corps, while blackballing prospective corps for ever speaking out of turn.  Or that DCI has no standing to tell external organizations how to operate (i.e. some "corps" are actually multi-program youth arts orgs where only one of the programs is a DCI corps).

Did not want to distract from the main point - every corps needs to handle member safety.

Will let Jeff describe what he meant as did not read his comments as DCI taking sole responsibility.

As for rest, better in a separate thread. 

On 4/10/2022 at 8:17 PM, Liahona said:

I don't disagree with you. 

What would you suggest corps and/or DCI as an organization(s) should do to correct the problem?  I am sure many of the corps would rather have some better semblance of addressing these difficult issues rather then just opening themselves to legal and/or reputation issues. In some cases, reputations are forever ruined.  Basically, how do you suggest they stop this bleeding? Band-aids are not really working for the  most part it seems IMO.

DCI needs an outside group to keep track and handle any punishment or guidance. IOW this conflict of interest of DCI BoD being the same people running the corps they are going to punish is hurting them. Even if the BoD does what they are supposed to do the appearance of fox guarding the chicken coop hurts.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

No, it is never time to "centralize" member safety.  Every corps needs to handle that.

well, then allow the failure to continue.

• Sad 1

I think things have moved to a better spot in regards to Jeff's question. The only reason I say that is because people are now exposing the issues. Marching members know what to look for and the activity is under the microscope, as are many areas of society. This does not mean all the issues have been eradicated. But for the most part the silence is no longer the norm. DCI and its' member corps know what to look for, and they know people are watching them. Instructors and administrators know very well what is expected of them, and if they still commit injustices -- be they hazing, harassment, sexual abuse, favoritism, racism, bigotry, theft and more -- then clearly they just don't get it and should be removed immediately and never let back into the activity.  

Young marching members are learning quickly and I believe are being given very helpful information on how to handle themselves on tour. Whistleblower procedures have been put in place. How affective are they? I don't know, but I do sense a move in the right direction. Young people can be prone to stupid mistakes from inexperience and environmental upbringing and you just hope this does not amount to criminal behavior. If young marching members learn anything on tour it should be how to take care of and support each other. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 9:13 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

DCI needs an outside group to keep track and handle any punishment or guidance. IOW this conflict of interest of DCI BoD being the same people running the corps they are going to punish is hurting them. Even if the BoD does what they are supposed to do the appearance of fox guarding the chicken coop hurts.

I truly believe that what is stated here is the key. Although the corps should be responsible for policing themselves, there should also be in place some sort of oversight. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I think things have moved to a better spot in regards to Jeff's question. The only reason I say that is because people are now exposing the issues. Marching members know what to look for and the activity is under the microscope, as are many areas of society. This does not mean all the issues have been eradicated. But for the most part the silence is no longer the norm. DCI and its' member corps know what to look for, and they know people are watching them. Instructors and administrators know very well what is expected of them, and if they still commit injustices -- be they hazing, harassment, sexual abuse, favoritism, racism, bigotry, theft and more -- then clearly they just don't get it and should be removed immediately and never let back into the activity.  

Young marching members are learning quickly and I believe are being given very helpful information on how to handle themselves on tour. Whistleblower procedures have been put in place. How affective are they? I don't know, but I do sense a move in the right direction. Young people can be prone to stupid mistakes from inexperience and environmental upbringing and you just hope this does not amount to criminal behavior. If young marching members learn anything on tour it should be how to take care of and support each other. 

Agreed. One thing though certainly appears to be missing is some sort of database of abusers. In order for this to all function correctly, those who are proven to have committed abuse, they should be removed from the activity and cataloged in some way so that they can not simply move from one corps to another. 

• Like 2