Four years ago today the Drum Corps world exploded

58 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I truly believe that what is stated here is the key. Although the corps should be responsible for policing themselves, there should also be in place some sort of oversight. 

And oversight from a group that has no connection to DCI. To put it bluntly a group that won’t take a hit because of a corps penalty. Just too much suspicion that DCI takes care of its own or it’s own bottom lone

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

In my reporting process with MAASIN, they've informed me that such lists are tricky to execute. I'm not saying they won't work, just that there are orgs that are trying, but not yet seeing that as a full solution yet.

Such a list may have prevented a few foxes from getting into my alma mater's metaphorical hen house. May have...

Did MAASIN give a reason why the database is tricking to execute. Besides incomplete info given to them…

22 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Did MAASIN give a reason why the database is tricking to execute. Besides incomplete info given to them…

If I were a conspiracist (is that even a word?) I would think that an argument could be made that having a single database from multiple resources could be 1. Absolute hell to manage with duplicate reporting 2. Fraught with the possibility of going down with a single failure if proper redundancy isn't in place and 3. Have a looming question in some peoples mind of who is oversight for the oversight list. 

Now all of that being said, I personally think if it can be done, it should be done. And DCI and the corps, should be completely hands off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Fair question. They did not but your logic is sound.

Lol I worked IT for 40 years and last 20-25 was with databases. Have seen some real messes so got me thinking. And me thinking can be dangerous 😆

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And oversight from a group that has no connection to DCI. To put it bluntly a group that won’t take a hit because of a corps penalty. Just too much suspicion that DCI takes care of its own or it’s own bottom lone

this 1000000%. DCI has shown themselves to be incapable of doing it right

• Like 3

13 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

It's going to be a monumental challenge to actually establish an entity that is truly independent and effective.  You don't have to look any further than SafeSport to see that it's harder than most people would have imagined.  That organization continues to face adversity on many levels that threaten its credibility, effectiveness and long term viability:

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/33348656/us-center-safesport-olympic-movement-misconduct-watchdog-struggles-shed-paper-tiger-reputation

There also has to be a long hard look at how any 3rd party organization can truly control/impact what happens within the walls of an individual corps.  Pioneer is the perfect example.  DCI required that the Blenski family step aside from the board, but they didn't have the authority to actually require that such a transition happen.  In fact, nobody in the world had the legal authority to make them do that based on my understanding of corporation laws in most states.  There would likely have to be changes to the bylaws of each organization to allow a 3rd party entity to have any legal bearing on what happens within each individual organization.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rjohn76 said:

It's going to be a monumental challenge to actually establish an entity that is truly independent and effective.  You don't have to look any further than SafeSport to see that it's harder than most people would have imagined.  That organization continues to face adversity on many levels that threaten its credibility, effectiveness and long term viability:

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/33348656/us-center-safesport-olympic-movement-misconduct-watchdog-struggles-shed-paper-tiger-reputation

There also has to be a long hard look at how any 3rd party organization can truly control/impact what happens within the walls of an individual corps.  Pioneer is the perfect example.  DCI required that the Blenski family step aside from the board, but they didn't have the authority to actually require that such a transition happen.  In fact, nobody in the world had the legal authority to make them do that based on my understanding of corporation laws in most states.  There would likely have to be changes to the bylaws of each organization to allow a 3rd party entity to have any legal bearing on what happens within each individual organization.

Correct DCI did not have the legal authority to tell Pioneer to make internal changes. But DCI did have the authority to not allow Pioneer to participate in DCI events. 
I am not saying a 3rd party would be able to make changes within a corps. What I am saying is a 3rd party should be able to set (or at least suggest) the proper action, including not participating in DCI. Which is no different from what DCI did in Pioneers case. 
The difference is someone other than DCI determines what should be done. I keep picturing DCI BoD saying “something needs to be done about corps A… but if we penalize them it will hurt our organization as a whole…. Uhhhhhhh”. Cliche is fox guarding the chicken coop

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2