Four years ago today the Drum Corps world exploded

Props to the Raiders who acted fast and announced right away he was gone 

http://m.bartlesvilleradio.com/pages/news/338002022/icc-instructor-arrested-for-rape-among-other-charges

• Like 5

6 hours ago, rjohn76 said:

It's going to be a monumental challenge to actually establish an entity that is truly independent and effective.  You don't have to look any further than SafeSport to see that it's harder than most people would have imagined.  That organization continues to face adversity on many levels that threaten its credibility, effectiveness and long term viability:

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/33348656/us-center-safesport-olympic-movement-misconduct-watchdog-struggles-shed-paper-tiger-reputation

There also has to be a long hard look at how any 3rd party organization can truly control/impact what happens within the walls of an individual corps.  Pioneer is the perfect example.  DCI required that the Blenski family step aside from the board, but they didn't have the authority to actually require that such a transition happen.  In fact, nobody in the world had the legal authority to make them do that based on my understanding of corporation laws in most states.  There would likely have to be changes to the bylaws of each organization to allow a 3rd party entity to have any legal bearing on what happens within each individual organization.

Whoever runs it can present its findings. The key is dci has to grow a set and put rules and consequences in place that have real teeth. Spirit was going to walk until backlash online grew in addition to their #### poor handling of everything 

• Thanks 4

52 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Whoever runs it can present its findings. The key is dci has to grow a set and put rules and consequences in place that have real teeth. Spirit was going to walk until backlash online grew in addition to their #### poor handling of everything 

And Spirit made the decision and not DCI… Still think some people think DCI made the suspend operations call… nope

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Exactly correct and I don't think DCI can do that independently. The corps themselves are not going to put themselves in a position to be severely punished if they break a set of rules that they selves, voted into action (at least IMHO.) Best case scenario as far as I can see is that an independent committee lays down the basic structure and DCI votes to either out it into action or not. And that vote should be made public in my opinion. An independent committee will not have the same ties to tradition nor the "we handle our house internally" type of attitude. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Did MAASIN give a reason why the database is tricking to execute. Besides incomplete info given to them…

Two things:

- where to draw the line on who to list

- who has the guts to publish the list (and the lawyer$$$ to defend their position)

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Two things:

- who has the guts to publish the list (and the lawyer$$$ to defend their position)

I never said another about publishing the list. 

A corps sends who they removed and why. A corps wants to hire someone so they send in the name to whoever handles the database to see if the name is there. Like the state police background check I went through when I was to work with youth in my church.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

27 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Two things:

Two points that need to be hammered out. As stated earlier in the thread, both of the points you bring to the table were the stickiest parts. IMHO, being on that list means that one would have to have been proven to have taken part in an action which is in direct violation of whatever rules are set in place by an independent committee and voted into action by DCI. DCI is the corps and vice versa so the knife cuts both ways. Regarding where to publish said list, I think Jim has a viable solution. Potential staff are vetted by the corps and part of that process would be to check the database, similar to a background check. 

Is it a perfect solution. Nope. There is no perfect solution. Is it better than what we have now which is to wait for months and sometimes years for things to come out even after multiple survivor stories. Yep.

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Two things:

Since you are so quick to down others ideas, what are YOUR suggestions in handing this? 
How can a corps protect itself from hiring someone who had problems at another corps. Problems (bullying, harassment, etc) not bad enough that there would be a police record.

• Thanks 1

I would think that "compiling a list" might be more of a legal issue (I am not a lawyer).

In Education, you get a teaching certificate to the state you work in, which can be retired, expired, surrendered, or in rare instances be revoked. The last two are "yellow flags" to most (if not all) school districts HR departments. In Texas there is a website to see a person’s status. I am sure in other states there could be issues with state teacher’s unions etc to keep the sites from even existing. Is it a perfect system? No, but it seems to work. Most school across the country give the “accused” teacher the choice of 1) Immediately sign these papers and you are no longer employed or 2) we will go public to the press about what you (supposedly) did and let the legal process take place. Obviously, most take the first option and ultimately surrender their teaching certificate.

So, with that said and using a model like, say, Texas, what if once a clear backround check comes back either DCI, the corps, or a separate organization (with plenty of lawyers / maybe even drum corps alum who are lawyers) were able to issue that staff member a teaching certificate for the summer, then manage the certificate’s status? It seems to me that there is precident through the state educational systems to be able to pull this off legally.

Who knows? Like I said, I am no lawyer.

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, njthundrrd said:

I would think that "compiling a list" might be more of a legal issue (I am not a lawyer).

In Education, you get a teaching certificate to the state you work in, which can be retired, expired, surrendered, or in rare instances be revoked. The last two are "yellow flags" to most (if not all) school districts HR departments. In Texas there is a website to see a person’s status. I am sure in other states there could be issues with state teacher’s unions etc to keep the sites from even existing. Is it a perfect system? No, but it seems to work. Most school across the country give the “accused” teacher the choice of 1) Immediately sign these papers and you are no longer employed or 2) we will go public to the press about what you (supposedly) did and let the legal process take place. Obviously, most take the first option and ultimately surrender their teaching certificate.

So, with that said and using a model like, say, Texas, what if once a clear backround check comes back either DCI, the corps, or a separate organization (with plenty of lawyers / maybe even drum corps alum who are lawyers) were able to issue that staff member a teaching certificate for the summer, then manage the certificate’s status? It seems to me that there is precident through the state educational systems to be able to pull this off legally.

Who knows? Like I said, I am no lawyer.

It's certainly an interesting model to explore. One thing that is missing and you brought a bit more into the light is the action/connection of/to an HR department. That's one thing that DCI seems to be missing in this case in regards to the member corps. 

• Like 1