Four years ago today the Drum Corps world exploded

6 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

And here's another example of an educator "falling through the crack" with non-professional behavior.  (Red flags)  Someone stated on FB that he had his NJ teaching certificate revoked?  This incident was from 2013:  

https://www.nj.com/somerset/2013/10/band_teacher_resigns_after_allegations_of_misconduct_abusive_behavior_in_classroom.html?fbclid=IwAR07O0gdzyW9ZHOtPq_XNSfBshgD1MAK8P-Sr2yJ1W7KlP59W843gK1d4FY

College gigs have saved several bad actors at the high school level or even lower

• Sad 4

5 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Excellent point. It has to be "reverse engineered" from an approach of worst case scenario backwards. Here is the result of condition-x and how do we make that result achievable and legal. Also, UNTIL that first lawsuit against DCI or a specific corps happens and sets our world on fire, how do we get corps to recognize that:

1. Even if YOUR corps can manage to keep their house clean (which isn't sustainable long term,) that doesn't mean that ALL corps can do the same. Pretty soon you're going to be winning every DCI title because there will only be one corps performing...grats on that.

-and-

2. You (the corps) are working WAY too hard in a field that you are (most likely) not an expert in. The benefits of an outside organization helping to mitigate potential issues FAR outweighs the high-flying egos of those who wish to control every aspect of their organization within a broader context of the activity. 

Look...I'm a DRUMMER for ^%$^'s sake. I'm not exactly Wile E Coyote (super genius) and if I can see the upside, then people FAR smarter that me should be able to map it out and make it work. 

Control is the key closely followed by cost. They’d have to pay to bring in people with experience as well as give up some control

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

People are on the police list because they have been convicted & put on the list. The issue facing Drum Corps is how to handle individuals who have exhibited bad behavior but haven’t been convicted in a court of law.  What happens if someone is ‘on the list’ but believes that the should not be on the list?

If someone has been terminated anywhere for these issues, it’s an easy list to keep especially as more incidents become public 

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

People are on the police list because they have been convicted & put on the list. The issue facing Drum Corps is how to handle individuals who have exhibited bad behavior but haven’t been convicted in a court of law.  What happens if someone is ‘on the list’ but believes that the should not be on the list?

That's one of the issues that's hitting SafeSport.  They have an independent arbitration process that the accused can use to dispute allegations against them.  In an alarming number of cases, the accused have been able to go through that arbitration process and have their SafeSport assessed sanctions lessened or completely removed in some cases.  

The secondary issue involves fair employment laws, which create a unique web of nuances from one state to the next.  While it may seem to be common sense that a person shouldn't be hired (or maybe fired) based on information contained within a database, there may be legal aspects that don't necessarily fall on the side of common sense.  Even some criminal convictions that seem very offensive or upsetting don't necessarily bar a person from employment with a youth organization.  An employer has to be able to prove that an offense is substantially related to the circumstances of a particular job, and it's harder to do that in some cases than some might think.

• Like 2

That mugshot is the look of a man who realizes it's over. Over. No matter what the legal outcome is, it's just over. 53 years old and now everything he's ever known is done. What a crazy f@#$ing situation. 

I knew Larry and while he was always a little arrogant, it never occurred to me that he would have as many issues as he's had, and now THIS. 

How many more are there going to be? Staggers the mind.

• Sad 1

DCI news release adopting SafeSport training.  It's got to be a positive move...

https://www.dci.org/news/dci-announces-new-safesport-training-requirements-and-welcomes-new-safety-manager?fbclid=IwAR0n2oonGvYGHRvfXTXsU29ktHVXc6gRc_IBbuF5jomjxrIqhBsvTcWrDBs 

SafeSport site:

https://uscenterforsafesport.org

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

On 4/17/2022 at 4:28 PM, Jeff Ream said:

If someone has been terminated anywhere for these issues, it’s an easy list to keep especially as more incidents become public 

Jeff, I think a good lawyer might disagree if their client was on that list.

On 4/17/2022 at 4:26 PM, Jeff Ream said:

Control is the key closely followed by cost. They’d have to pay to bring in people with experience as well as give up some control

And in this day and age... Liability should be added to that list. 

Edited by njthundrrd

5 hours ago, GBugler said:

That mugshot is the look of a man who realizes it's over. Over. No matter what the legal outcome is, it's just over. 53 years old and now everything he's ever known is done. What a crazy f@#$ing situation. 

I knew Larry and while he was always a little arrogant, it never occurred to me that he would have as many issues as he's had, and now THIS. 

How many more are there going to be? Staggers the mind.

In 2004, the U.S. Department of Education released a report that looked at sexual misconduct in the classroom. The report concluded that roughly 10 percent of students experience sexual misconduct by a teacher at some time during their K-12 school experience. 

Reference: https://www.innocentlivesfoundation.org/sexual-misconduct-in-the-classroom-everything-you-need-to-know/

I find this report SHOCKING to say the least.  I can't imagine that it has gotten any better or maybe even worse.

• Sad 2