Four years ago today the Drum Corps world exploded

3 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Two questions:

1) I lost track, was DCI working with Safe Sport before? I only remember the other group whose name escapes me.

2) Will provide training…. who all will get trained. HUGE question if DCI doesn’t want to go half vast (say it fast) on this.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, njthundrrd said:

Jeff, I think a good lawyer might disagree if their client was on that list.

well if the activity is trying to keep this #### out, there's gotta be a way. and seeing as Safesport is having issues with it, it may just be the law doesnt give a #### about safety

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/us-center-safesport-olympic-movements-misconduct-watchdog-struggles/story?id=83061994

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Two questions:

1) I lost track, was DCI working with Safe Sport before? I only remember the other group whose name escapes me.

2) Will provide training…. who all will get trained. HUGE question if DCI doesn’t want to go half vast (say it fast) on this.

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well if the activity is trying to keep this #### out, there's gotta be a way. and seeing as Safesport is having issues with it, it may just be the law doesnt give a #### about safety

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/us-center-safesport-olympic-movements-misconduct-watchdog-struggles/story?id=83061994

Not sure but I think DCI just started this initiative?  And wow; the abc story used the term "paper tiger".  (Paper tiger: a person or thing that appears threatening but is ineffectual.)

"If you're SafeSport, and you're funded by the organization you're investigating, they're likely not going to do the right thing," Raisman told lawmakers during testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee in September. "It's a complete mess, and the priority doesn't seem to be the safety and well-being of athletes."

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Thanks 2

It seems to me that it would be useful if Ms Zorn (the new DCI Participant Safety Manager) would have some sort of discussion on DCP with those of us who have specific questions and/or concerns.

We could ask questions like:

'If a still-active DCI HOF caption-head instructor is found to be acting inappropriately, do you have the authority to remove the instructor, even if the Corps protests?' (note - I do not have any individual in mind, I am just trying to indicate the 'offender' is someone high-up in a Corps)

'If a marching member who is the star soloist for a Corps in contention for winning a championship misbehaves the morning of finals day, do you have the authority to pull him from the finals night performance?'

'If leadership of a Corps refuses to cooperate with an investigation by your office, do you have the authority to remove the Corps from the tour?'

I'm sure we could come up with other questions.

The point is that unless DCI empowers Ms Zorn by backing her up when making disciplinary decisions, then it is just more smoke, mirrors, & obfuscation on DCI's part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

It seems to me that it would be useful if Ms Zorn (the new DCI Participant Safety Manager) would have some sort of discussion on DCP with those of us who have specific questions and/or concerns.

We could ask questions like:

'If a still-active DCI HOF caption-head instructor is found to be acting inappropriately, do you have the authority to remove the instructor, even if the Corps protests?' (note - I do not have any individual in mind, I am just trying to indicate the 'offender' is someone high-up in a Corps)

'If a marching member who is the star soloist for a Corps in contention for winning a championship misbehaves the morning of finals day, do you have the authority to pull him from the finals night performance?'

'If leadership of a Corps refuses to cooperate with an investigation by your office, do you have the authority to remove the Corps from the tour?'

I'm sure we could come up with other questions.

The point is that unless DCI empowers Ms Zorn by backing her up when making disciplinary decisions, then it is just more smoke, mirrors, & obfuscation on DCI's part.

I would add question on addressing problem members who join another corps. Supposedly a harasser who was a Spirit member tried to join BD. BD didn’t know his bad history until it came out in social media. 
Same problems schools have when abusers are not reported and they go somewhere else

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I would add question on addressing problem members who join another corps. Supposedly a harasser who was a Spirit member tried to join BD. BD didn’t know his bad history until it came out in social media. 
Same problems schools have when abusers are not reported and they go somewhere else

That is a good question as well.  The harassing-member of today may well become the harassing-instructor of tomorrow.  We need to break the cycle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Sheesh!

• Sad 1