Four years ago today the Drum Corps world exploded

6 hours ago, BRHSBANDMEMBER said:

Here’s more information on the Larry Markiewicz charges. Larry was the Director of the Crossmen in 2005 and Director of Bands at Bridgewater-Raritan High School from 2001-2013

https://www.koamnewsnow.com/rape-sexual-battery-charges-filed-against-sek-music-professor/

https://www.koamnewsnow.com/content/uploads/2022/04/n/c/State-of-Kansas-vs-Lawrence-Markiewicz-Jr..pdf

oof.

4 hours ago, Swamptihs said:

says 2005

As director yes but asking if he was with the corps more than one year. Just looks a bit off he came on as director immediately and left after one season 

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

As director yes but asking if he was with the corps more than one year. Just looks a bit off he came on as director immediately and left after one season 

Jim, he certainly wasn’t there long as Director. Maybe 2004 and 2005 but I know definitely 2005. Here’s some more of his bio:

Larry began his instructional career as a Crossmen Alumnus in 1991 where he served as Brass Instructor in 1991 & '92 and then to the Cadets of Bergen County in 1993 & '94. In 1995 he became Brass Caption Head for the Cadets, where he served through the 1997 season. In 1998 took the position as Brass Caption Head with the Glassmen in 1998 through 2000 and then Carolina Crown in 2001 & '02. During this time he also served as Consultant to the Syracuse
Brigadiers in 1998, Brig's Staff Coordinator/Music Director in 1999 through 2001, Brass Consultant for the Bushwackers in 2002 and Program Coordinator for the Crossmen in 2003. Keeping active in both circuits, he is currently the Director of the Crossmen. In addition to the wealth of senior (DCA) and junior (DCI) corps experience, Larry has served as Brass Instructor/Caption Head for the Royal Kilties, "Pride of Soka" from Tokyo, Japan (1994 - 1997), and as a clinician at the
Pontins Music Festival (Band and Drum & Bugle Corps) in England (1996 -2001). He has been an adjudicator for USSBA, the NY State Field Band
Association, and the Greater St. Louis Marching Band Championships, as well as other festivals and competitions in South Carolina, Florida, Virginia and
Maryland. Larry holds a B.A. in Music Education/Performance from Trenton State College, and has studied with Don Butterfield (Euphonium) and Dave Uber (Trombone). He is currently Band Director at Bridgewater Raritan High School in Bridgewater, NJ. Additionally, he instructs and is part of the design team at North Penn High School in Lansdale, PA, and as stated above, is the Director of the Crossmen Drum & Bugle Corps.

This was from an older bio. He was brass caption head for the Glassmen in a couple of the Gold Years and worked closely with Hop at the Cadets too. During his tenure at BR, he was known to have a short temper and be extremely verbally and mentally abusive to students but nothing on this level. To point out, he also won numerous state championships as band director at BR. A number of students had been fearful to report his ugly behavior until somebody did come forward and that led to his dismissal in 2013. I’m personally glad that these brave victims came forward in Kansas.

• Thanks 3

Known to be extremely verbally and mentally abuse… yet groups kept hiring him. But sure he had defenders saying the members were just too “sensitive”.

”I have met the enemy and he is us” Pogo

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Known to be extremely verbally and mentally abuse… yet groups kept hiring him. But sure he had defenders saying the members were just too “sensitive”.

Drum corps prides itself on pushing members to perform at there absolute best. 

But there is also a line between calling out someone who is making mistakes in drill and/or music and being verbally and mentally abusive about it.  When this happens, there should be someone there to pull the instructor to the side & tell them to back off.  But when the abuser is the caption head (or Corps director), who pulls them aside?  Maybe this is where the new 'member advocate' comes into play. 

But, anticipating the next possible problem - what happens if an instructor is told to back off & they don't back off?

I guess bottom line question is 'Will Corps be willing to accept a lower score/placement as a result of removing an abusive instructor?'

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Drum corps prides itself on pushing members to perform at there absolute best. 

But there is also a line between calling out someone who is making mistakes in drill and/or music and being verbally and mentally abusive about it.  When this happens, there should be someone there to pull the instructor to the side & tell them to back off.  But when the abuser is the caption head (or Corps director), who pulls them aside?  Maybe this is where the new 'member advocate' comes into play. 

But, anticipating the next possible problem - what happens if an instructor is told to back off & they don't back off?

I guess bottom line question is 'Will Corps be willing to accept a lower score/placement as a result of removing an abusive instructor?'

Agreed… I’m a type that if I screw up I’m the one who is most POed about it. 

Thinking our main drill guy was a screamer but it was never personal or constant. Yell a sentence or two then move on. Lol one time he yelled at me for a miscue. Then he turned to a corps BoD member “you did it too”.. 

Then after practice he could walk up to you “Jim haven’t talked to you for a while, how are you doing”😳

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

that old school drum corps mentality of Richard Craniums getting gigs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Agreed… I’m a type that if I screw up I’m the one who is most POed about it. 

Thinking our main drill guy was a screamer but it was never personal or constant. Yell a sentence or two then move on. Lol one time he yelled at me for a miscue. Then he turned to a corps BoD member “you did it too”.. 

Then after practice he could walk up to you “Jim haven’t talked to you for a while, how are you doing”😳

I've heard instructors throughout my career (and I've said it myself a few times) tell students not to take anything personal in marching rehearsal.  (Of course, there is the "red line" that should not be crossed.  Always remain professional, polite, & considerate when dealing with students.)  

But I love Looney Tunes with "Sam" & that poor coyote, "Ralph".  This cartoon has always reminded me of instructors & students "clocking in & out" for a rehearsal:

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, BRHSBANDMEMBER said:

Jim, he certainly wasn’t there long as Director. Maybe 2004 and 2005 but I know definitely 2005. Here’s some more of his bio:

Larry began his instructional career as a Crossmen Alumnus in 1991 where he served as Brass Instructor in 1991 & '92 and then to the Cadets of Bergen County in 1993 & '94. In 1995 he became Brass Caption Head for the Cadets, where he served through the 1997 season. In 1998 took the position as Brass Caption Head with the Glassmen in 1998 through 2000 and then Carolina Crown in 2001 & '02. During this time he also served as Consultant to the Syracuse
Brigadiers in 1998, Brig's Staff Coordinator/Music Director in 1999 through 2001, Brass Consultant for the Bushwackers in 2002 and Program Coordinator for the Crossmen in 2003. Keeping active in both circuits, he is currently the Director of the Crossmen. In addition to the wealth of senior (DCA) and junior (DCI) corps experience, Larry has served as Brass Instructor/Caption Head for the Royal Kilties, "Pride of Soka" from Tokyo, Japan (1994 - 1997), and as a clinician at the
Pontins Music Festival (Band and Drum & Bugle Corps) in England (1996 -2001). He has been an adjudicator for USSBA, the NY State Field Band
Association, and the Greater St. Louis Marching Band Championships, as well as other festivals and competitions in South Carolina, Florida, Virginia and
Maryland. Larry holds a B.A. in Music Education/Performance from Trenton State College, and has studied with Don Butterfield (Euphonium) and Dave Uber (Trombone). He is currently Band Director at Bridgewater Raritan High School in Bridgewater, NJ. Additionally, he instructs and is part of the design team at North Penn High School in Lansdale, PA, and as stated above, is the Director of the Crossmen Drum & Bugle Corps.

This was from an older bio. He was brass caption head for the Glassmen in a couple of the Gold Years and worked closely with Hop at the Cadets too. During his tenure at BR, he was known to have a short temper and be extremely verbally and mentally abusive to students but nothing on this level. To point out, he also won numerous state championships as band director at BR. A number of students had been fearful to report his ugly behavior until somebody did come forward and that led to his dismissal in 2013. I’m personally glad that these brave victims came forward in Kansas.

His salary at Trenton Central in the late 90's allowed him to do many of those other positions with top programs (e.g. North Penn)_ and the drum corps. Trenton Central had a very minimal music program, so little would have been expected of him in his "day job", sad to say. The school whose marching band I taught from 1994-2017, West Windsor-Plainsboro HS (South campus once the North campus was built), played Trenton in football, so I saw their marching band every year. While not world beaters, they were at least presentable in Larry's era.