Four years ago today the Drum Corps world exploded

25 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Edit to add: To be serious as the grave, the part where staff on the ground commits to change is where I have my biggest doubts. Again, there are some, but we're talking systems change and that is just about as difficult as everyone who's gotten this far in this thread already knows.

Started career 1980 and agency started getting serious on sexual harassment around 1990 and diversity (gender, ethnic) later. 
Have good friend who started 1982 and she agrees that the mindset has changed greatly. Sadly one of the biggest reasons for the change is the retirement of the biggest offenders and new people who accept better. 
Should say my friend was a math major ca 1980 and went into the computer field. Back then few females were in IT and even less were a math major. So she experienced the crap first hand

Edited by JimF-LowBari

33 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Exactly and that's where one of the biggest issues would seem to be. I simply cannot wrap my brain around how that would work.

I wonder if we are trying to reinvent the wheel?  Does anyone know  USA Gymnastics (idk if that is the exact term) set up (if anything) to prevent another Larry Nasser?   What about NCAA schools & Title 9 stuff?  Of course, both have a lot more $ than Drum Corps.  I think with enough time & money something could be developed.   

We used to say that the ideal process is high-quality, fast, & inexpensive.   The problem is that you can only have two - if it is fast & inexpensive it won’t be high quality.  If it is inexpensive & high quality it won’t be fast.  And fast & high quality won’t be inexpensive.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I wonder if we are trying to reinvent the wheel?  Does anyone know  USA Gymnastics (idk if that is the exact term) set up (if anything) to prevent another Larry Nasser?   What about NCAA schools & Title 9 stuff?  Of course, both have a lot more $ than Drum Corps.  I think with enough time & money something could be developed.   

We used to say that the ideal process is high-quality, fast, & inexpensive.   The problem is that you can only have two - if it is fast & inexpensive it won’t be high quality.  If it is inexpensive & high quality it won’t be fast.  And fast & high quality won’t be inexpensive.  

Another problem is it’s not going to be perfect the first… second… time. And even when as good as can be society or law will change. 
First few years anti sexual harassment training had male harassing female only. People being trained were “wait a minute 🥴”. Then female harassing male and finally same sex harassment. The same sex part came from societal changes IMO and policy had to catch up. And IIRC policy was “report to supervisor” period. Uhh.. what if the boss is the harasser? Oops something else missed.

IMO keep working at having a policy and keep looking for ways to improve. Saying it’s not going to be perfect and doing nothing is worse than useless as it empowers the people causing the problems 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Since you are so quick to down others ideas

... where did THAT come from?

You asked what the main challenges might be.  I tried to answer your question.  

what are YOUR suggestions in handing this? 

I have no magical answer, so I am open to suggestion.  Frankly, the best that comes to mind right now is yours:

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

A corps sends who they removed and why. A corps wants to hire someone so they send in the name to whoever handles the database to see if the name is there. Like the state police background check I went through when I was to work with youth in my church.

Oh, and by the way... 

I never said another about publishing the list. 

My word choice may not be the best.  When I said "publish", I imagined access being restricted to those who make staffing decisions for marching arts programs.  Your idea avoids even that level of "publishing", and therefore could be more practical.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Exactly correct and I don't think DCI can do that independently. The corps themselves are not going to put themselves in a position to be severely punished if they break a set of rules that they selves, voted into action (at least IMHO.) Best case scenario as far as I can see is that an independent committee lays down the basic structure and DCI votes to either out it into action or not. And that vote should be made public in my opinion. An independent committee will not have the same ties to tradition nor the "we handle our house internally" type of attitude. 

Yet another example of the inmates running the insane asylum 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, njthundrrd said:

I would think that "compiling a list" might be more of a legal issue (I am not a lawyer).

In Education, you get a teaching certificate to the state you work in, which can be retired, expired, surrendered, or in rare instances be revoked. The last two are "yellow flags" to most (if not all) school districts HR departments. In Texas there is a website to see a person’s status. I am sure in other states there could be issues with state teacher’s unions etc to keep the sites from even existing. Is it a perfect system? No, but it seems to work. Most school across the country give the “accused” teacher the choice of 1) Immediately sign these papers and you are no longer employed or 2) we will go public to the press about what you (supposedly) did and let the legal process take place. Obviously, most take the first option and ultimately surrender their teaching certificate.

So, with that said and using a model like, say, Texas, what if once a clear backround check comes back either DCI, the corps, or a separate organization (with plenty of lawyers / maybe even drum corps alum who are lawyers) were able to issue that staff member a teaching certificate for the summer, then manage the certificate’s status? It seems to me that there is precident through the state educational systems to be able to pull this off legally.

Who knows? Like I said, I am no lawyer.

Actually a sound idea

• Like 1