Four years ago today the Drum Corps world exploded

12 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I would add question on addressing problem members who join another corps. Supposedly a harasser who was a Spirit member tried to join BD. BD didn’t know his bad history until it came out in social media. 
Same problems schools have when abusers are not reported and they go somewhere else

i am told by more than a few some corps are flooded with complaints about members and issues with them, by people not even affiliated with the corps. so then each corps has to take the time to research it all

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Rule 1.   DFTK

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/cobb-county/former-christian-school-band-teacher-sentenced-sexual-relationship-with-student/6554TDTO7FEGZCN7EG5V44XZJM/

This case highlights that rule.  As I understand it, the girl was a 14 year old sophomore when the relationship started, and she was a willing participant, never cooperating with the investigation.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

FTFY. She can't give consent at that age. "Being a willing participant" at 14 years old isn't a thing.

Legally, you are correct.  Practically... oh yeah it is.  I went to high school with three women girls who initiated sexual relationships with teachers.  They weren't groomed.  Two were trading sex for grades and the other just dug older guys.  I had a 15 year old classmate with a 24 year old Marine boyfriend... among the 14 guys she had been dating  sleeping with.  These girls weren't victims of grooming behavior... believe me, no one had a chance of taking advantage of them.  They were just raised with too much money and too much freedom.

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Legally, you are correct.  Practically... oh yeah it is.  I went to high school with three women girls who initiated sexual relationships with teachers.  They weren't groomed.  Two were trading sex for grades and the other just dug older guys.  I had a 15 year old classmate with a 24 year old Marine boyfriend... among the 14 guys she had been dating  sleeping with.  These girls weren't victims of grooming behavior... believe me, no one had a chance of taking advantage of them.  They were just raised with too much money and too much freedom.

You have no idea whether or not they were groomed. Also, you failed to mention anything of the adults who took advantage. Sounds a bit like victim blaming to me and not holding the men (I’m assuming) accountable. That mindset is a big part of the problem. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

And the “adults” should not have touched them at that age…. willing or not…. Period

edit: been 50 years but remember a 9th grader who was throwing herself at the guys (only students far as I know). Very physically mature for her age and dressed and acted it. Knew one of her friends and girl was a basket case due to lousy home life. Think she was just looking for any kind of attention or affection, definitely not emotionally mature enough for what she was doing. (Lost track after we left Jr High but felt sorry for her) Il

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

This is the first time I've encountered this term in the wild. I will say, it literally gives me chills.

That said, this is not difficult. Wholeheartedly agree. I feel ick even acknowledging it but I'd be amiss if I didn't.

Yes. Even the most basic information and discussion on these topics is better than none. As proven earlier in the thread, if marching members move into education later, they will need to know this information.

I have taken enough trips around the sun to know that when crafting a policy one needs to include the obvious stuff.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

FTFY. She can't give consent at that age. "Being a willing participant" at 14 years old isn't a thing.

actually Tennessee just passed a law allowing marriage down to 12 years old.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And the “adults” should not have touched them at that age…. willing or not…. Period

edit: been 50 years but remember a 9th grader who was throwing herself at the guys (only students far as I know). Very physically mature for her age and dressed and acted it. Knew one of her friends and girl was a basket case due to lousy home life. Think she was just looking for any kind of attention or affection, definitely not emotionally mature enough for what she was doing. (Lost track after we left Jr High but felt sorry for her) Il

exactly. doesn't matter how bad the kids try, the adult should resist and refuse.

• Like 3