Four years ago today the Drum Corps world exploded

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/news/crime/2022/04/20/bridgewater-raritan-ex-band-director-faces-kansas-sex-assault-charge/7367368001/#l27fsr8275p66w0t0w5

Here’s more color on the Larry Markiewicz situation. Honestly, the horror stories have been going on for years and he was extremely psychologically abusive to band members from when he started in 2002 to when he left in 2013. The Crossmen in 05 had major issues with him too. At Bridgewater he demonized members and belittled them. I’m sure more will come out. It’s just the tip of the iceberg here.

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

exactly. doesn't matter how bad the kids try, the adult should resist and refuse.

Why we have statutory rape laws. Physically mature at 14 or whatever doesn’t mean emotionally or mentally mature.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BRHSBANDMEMBER said:

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/news/crime/2022/04/20/bridgewater-raritan-ex-band-director-faces-kansas-sex-assault-charge/7367368001/#l27fsr8275p66w0t0w5

Here’s more color on the Larry Markiewicz situation. Honestly, the horror stories have been going on for years and he was extremely psychologically abusive to band members from when he started in 2002 to when he left in 2013. The Crossmen in 05 had major issues with him too. At Bridgewater he demonized members and belittled them. I’m sure more will come out. It’s just the tip of the iceberg here.

Nah we don’t need a central agency to keep track of people who cause harassment and other issues. Just let them bounce from place to place for years…… The more incidents I read the more I thought “you gotta be ####### me!”

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually Tennessee just passed a law allowing marriage down to 12 years old.

This illustrates another potential issue - cross-jurisdictional travel over the course of the season.

Recall early in the Hopacolypse, when Tricia Nadolny's articles were being published.  Some of the members were assaulted on tour.  And, as I understand the legal system, the jurisdiction where the crime is committed is the jurisdiction where the crime is prosecuted.   A quick google search shows that the 'age of consent' varies among the several states from 16-18.

As I have said before, the number one rule is DFTK.  And all off us (I believe) know it is wrong and should be cause for immediate termination of the offender, regardless of the age of the Corps member.  But, whether it is a crime or not depends on (1) age of the victim, (2) consent of the victim, and (3) where the Corps is at the time.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GBugler said:

So basically someone screwed up and missed putting in an age. And people went off to the races with it.

Good point to remember here…. Also reminder that a written policy may not be complete when first written either.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

48 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Why we have statutory rape laws. Physically mature at 14 or whatever doesn’t mean emotionally or mentally mature.

i was accused by a student many years ago. never touched the student. had to fight like hell to prove my innocence. but it was later discovered the student lied.

but i never broke rule #1

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

This illustrates another potential issue - cross-jurisdictional travel over the course of the season.

Recall early in the Hopacolypse, when Tricia Nadolny's articles were being published.  Some of the members were assaulted on tour.  And, as I understand the legal system, the jurisdiction where the crime is committed is the jurisdiction where the crime is prosecuted.   A quick google search shows that the 'age of consent' varies among the several states from 16-18.

As I have said before, the number one rule is DFTK.  And all off us (I believe) know it is wrong and should be cause for immediate termination of the offender, regardless of the age of the Corps member.  But, whether it is a crime or not depends on (1) age of the victim, (2) consent of the victim, and (3) where the Corps is at the time.

location was also an issue brought up in the recent issue with Spirit too.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Actually that’s bull####.

oh good glad to see it was shot down. last i saw it was being fast tracked