Four years ago today the Drum Corps world exploded

13 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Teaching styles for most are quite known. Bullying can also be viewed quit diffrently in some cases. Was it actually bulling or a staff member being tuff. Is someone bullied or just doesn'tlike to be critized, I've seen both hundreds of times over the years. 

Actual bulling or degrading is quite different and the corps management needs to be held accountable for their staff in all aspects. If management is not aware of all staff behaviors then they aren't good at their jobs and responsibilities. If management is the actual bully, then that's another issue.

As I said earlier, an accusation needs to be investigated not just assume, nor follow someone innocent. If all accusations on all subjects went into a data base I think few peoples names would be off that list.

Actually I was thinking bullying from a member. One of the allegations from the Spirit mess is sticking in my mind. 
For those unaware, a Spirit member who had marched multiple years was accused of bullying. This person was going to march for Blue Devils until the allegation became public. Then quietly the person was no longer going to be in Blue Devils.

Protecting members from other members is a piece that seems to be missing in these discussions. Hope to Hades DCI plans to cover it in their policy. If not then the members are not protected imo

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Actually I was thinking bullying from a member. One of the allegations from the Spirit mess is sticking in my mind. 
For those unaware, a Spirit member who had marched multiple years was accused of bullying. This person was going to march for Blue Devils until the allegation became public. Then quietly the person was no longer going to be in Blue Devils.

Protecting members from other members is a piece that seems to be missing in these discussions. Hope to Hades DCI plans to cover it in their policy. If not then the members are not protected imo

There has been both. You are right in that aspect also. Even the sexual situation member agressiveness is not always thought of because many think " they are kids "  they do and maybe more. 

Again I will say , if management isn't aware of how staff, AS WELL AS MEMBERS behave, they aren't  doing their jobs. Will someone always slip  through the cracks.. yes!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

There has been both. You are right in that aspect also. Even the sexual situation member agressiveness is not always thought of because many think " they are kids "  they do and maybe more. 

Again I will say , if management isn't aware of how staff, AS WELL AS MEMBERS behave, they aren't  doing their jobs. Will someone always slip  through the cracks.. yes!

I’ll just cover all(?) the bases by adding non-sexual situation member aggressiveness. 
As for slipping thru the cracks that’s why I keep preaching on training the members on what that can do to protect themselves and others. That includes documenting and reporting incidents 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnZ said:

the DOJ currently maintains at least 4 databases relating to adult and protected age group abuse that I know of.  access would not typically be available for general inquiries but reserved for law enforcement, though I do believe there are ways in which legitimate need access can be arranged. 

and I've been fingerprinted so many times for my line of work I fear a mismatch is going to happen.

i believe when applying for background checks now, one of the checks is national, not just state

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i believe when applying for background checks now, one of the checks is national, not just state

Back in the 90s I remember 2 checks. IIRC one was state police for criminal check. Other was national child abuse registry (pre Meghan’s list) check. $10 each

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 12:13 PM, JohnZ said:

the DOJ currently maintains at least 4 databases relating to adult and protected age group abuse that I know of.  access would not typically be available for general inquiries but reserved for law enforcement, though I do believe there are ways in which legitimate need access can be arranged. 

and I've been fingerprinted so many times for my line of work I fear a mismatch is going to happen.

John, are you aware if said lists only house convictions? Or might they contain lists of incidents which have been reported and law enforcement was involved regardless of the outcome (open cases, waiting trial, etc.) As I know nothing of that world, it makes me think that a possible solution already exists in what you put on the table. 

On 4/21/2022 at 5:07 PM, Jeff Ream said:

I think you are correct though to be honest, I think you have to actually choose to pay for that as part of the background check. I may be wrong but I will check with HR Monday morning LOL.

25 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

John, are you aware if said lists only house convictions? Or might they contain lists of incidents which have been reported and law enforcement was involved regardless of the outcome (open cases, waiting trial, etc.) As I know nothing of that world, it makes me think that a possible solution already exists in what you put on the table. 

You can pretty much bet that any investigation involving law enforcement or an authoritative agency is documented and databased somewhere in DOJ.  It is my understanding that some databases include investigations and outcomes not exclusive to convictions - whether those are shareable is unknown but I would think more possible under today's conditions.

10 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think you are correct though to be honest, I think you have to actually choose to pay for that as part of the background check. I may be wrong but I will check with HR Monday morning LOL.

most places now require it as part of the package. even to judge in many band circuits

On 4/21/2022 at 12:13 PM, JohnZ said:

A few years ago I volunteered to do some charity work that involved interacting with minors; as part of the vetting process I was sent to local sheriff to have fingerprints taken and to run my info through the various databases.  

So my point is that perhaps there is a way for a Corps to send staff to law enforcement as part of vetting process.  They have access to the databases, and (in theory) the IT security to keep the databases secure.  IDK what it takes to work out this kind of process, but you could sell it to law enforcement as prevention - a little work doing a background check up-front is a lot easier than investigating & prosecuting a sexual assault later.

• Like 1