Four years ago today the Drum Corps world exploded

On 4/9/2022 at 12:40 AM, Jeff Ream said:

i would laugh, but i realize you're serious. the policies are horse ####. if they were truly enforced Spirit wouldn't be where they are now, OC and Pioneer would be with us today. The Phantom story wouldn't be going around and many others mentioned here and elsewhere since April 2018. 

so, no, not the same thing

I don't disagree with you. 

What would you suggest corps and/or DCI as an organization(s) should do to correct the problem?  I am sure many of the corps would rather have some better semblance of addressing these difficult issues rather then just opening themselves to legal and/or reputation issues. In some cases, reputations are forever ruined.  Basically, how do you suggest they stop this bleeding? Band-aids are not really working for the  most part it seems IMO.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Unless you know of a vaccine to prevent predatory behavior, we will always have to treat it after we find it.

well, for one...don't #### around like Spirit did, then victim shame.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Liahona said:

I don't disagree with you. 

What would you suggest corps and/or DCI as an organization(s) should do to correct the problem?  I am sure many of the corps would rather have some better semblance of addressing these difficult issues rather then just opening themselves to legal and/or reputation issues. In some cases, reputations are forever ruined.  Basically, how do you suggest they stop this bleeding? Band-aids are not really working for the  most part it seems IMO.

it's time to stop leaving it for individual corps to solve. they can't handle it. There's needs to be a centralized process and staff in place to handle it. the old "dci is the corps" mantra is great, until you realize it only applies to the good stuff, not the bad......then it's everyone for themselves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's time to stop leaving it for individual corps to solve. they can't handle it. There's needs to be a centralized process and staff in place to handle it. the old "dci is the corps" mantra is great, until you realize it only applies to the good stuff, not the bad......then it's everyone for themselves.

No, it is never time to "centralize" member safety.  Every corps needs to handle that.

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

No, it is never time to "centralize" member safety.  Every corps needs to handle that.

Define “centralize “. Some corps have proven they cannot be trusted to handle safety and other issues. DCI needs to have somewhere the members can go to if they do not trust the corps or not getting results from the corps. And DCI needs to know what is going on within the corps with these issues.

Way it is done in my govt agency. If problems you can go outside of the agency to get help. Either way all problems are reported to the nationwide group that handles and keeps track of issues

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Define “centralize “.

According to the post I was addressing, "centralize" meant "stop leaving it for individual corps to solve", and instead provide both "centralized process and staff".  Do I even need to point out the problems with that?  Remember, DCI is not alone on tour with your kids day to day... the corps are.  That is why every corps must handle member safety.

A central authority can set minimum standards as policy, provide oversight, and/or even set up a third-party whistleblower/reporting system.  None of that can replace the need for corps people to take responsibility for the safety of their own membership.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

According to the post I was addressing, "centralize" meant "stop leaving it for individual corps to solve", and instead provide both "centralized process and staff".  Do I even need to point out the problems with that?  Remember, DCI is not alone on tour with your kids day to day... the corps are.  That is why every corps must handle member safety.

A central authority can set minimum standards as policy, provide oversight, and/or even set up a third-party whistleblower/reporting system.  None of that can replace the need for corps people to take responsibility for the safety of their own membership.

No idea how you can get that level of detail out of Jeff’s post but don’t really care. I asked for your definition and you got huffy. 
Sorry I bothered…

25 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

No idea how you can get that level of detail out of Jeff’s post but don’t really care. I asked for your definition and you got huffy. 
Sorry I bothered…

I gave you detail because you asked for a definition.

I put the words from the Jeff Ream post in quotes so that you could see where I get that level of detail from.

My intent is to be clear, not huffy.