BLUECOATS 2022 SHOW.

Don’t know. Aside from Pacific Crest giving us a show concept and Troopers doing the same, there have been very few announcements on anything. 

I am buying a ticket for San Antonio today, (and when I bought a ticket for DATR last week), I think it is the first time in 30 years as a fan where I had no idea what any of the corps at the events would be playing…as of April. 

But, for what it’s worth, Tommy is one of my favorite Blue Devils shows from all time. And it would be phenomenal to what Bluecoats could do with the music today if that is their show concept for 2022. 

(And as a side note- if we can bring back other themes from 1990, I would like to see Scouts play Rememberance, and Crown’s or Phantom’s take on Belshazzar’s Feast.). 

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Like 2

I can do without Ann-Margaret in the baked beans, but otherwise it sounds charming. 

Maybe next year move into the 70s and an all=Queen show. 

• Haha 3

ooh. I too loved Blue Devils take on Tommy.  I remember some folks saying, "It's great stuff, it's just not Blue Devils" because BD was all about the jazz up to that point.  Taking on Tommy started one of their 'big turns' toward some new things.  

Bloo could do a good take on that music too.  There's enough themes that overlap and echo in the songs that I suspect the arrangement could get really good.

Ann-Margaret and the baked beans was part of that whacked out movie version.  I suspect Bloo would take their cues from the Broadway arrangements and such.   

[just looked up that Tommy from 1990 and watched it. 1) yeah it was a distinct shift for BD at the time but looking back you can see the directions it launched, 2) so much BD swagger in that finals performance!, 3) That guard was innovative for the time too it seems, again, a bridge to the type of guard design that blossomed through the 90s into the 00s.  Guards have gone back to using more traditional equipment again for the most part, but movement, characterization emoting, and such is all starting to show in Tommy.]

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 2

Color me skeptical. Bluecoats are best in the business when it comes to keeping their show info under wraps until the very last second. I’m not even 100% sure the members know the show theme at this point.

once the licensing is secure we'll probably see more releases....the day of the first show

• Haha 1

I am pretty skeptical, too. I have heard hints, but from what little I’ve heard, I wouldn’t be thinking “Tommy.” Maybe AgriCULTure, but not “Tommy.”  But, I could be wrong. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

5 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I can do without Ann-Margaret in the baked beans, but otherwise it sounds charming. 

Maybe next year move into the 70s and an all=Queen show. 

The Wall by Pink Floyd perhaps?   

As the Floyd is (and will forever remain) the GOAT, not sure if it would translate well to Drum Corps. I know various parts of Dark Side of the Moon have been used (inc by Bluecoats), but I don’t think it really worked.  But I don’t understand the technical side well enough to say why it didn’t work.  

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The Wall by Pink Floyd perhaps?   

As the Floyd is (and will forever remain) the GOAT, not sure if it would translate well to Drum Corps. I know various parts of Dark Side of the Moon have been used (inc by Bluecoats), but I don’t think it really worked.  But I don’t understand the technical side well enough to say why it didn’t work.  

No “Great Gig in the Sky,” no wink … just sayin’.  To be honest, I was worried about the amount of content in that song, but then again, it was part of a championship show so obviously, there was enough.