Visual Performance 2008

On 4/17/2022 at 8:49 AM, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

That finals night will never be topped. The greatest season of drum corps of all time

It was my last Finals as a spectator. Haven't been back since. I agree, that was pretty much it. Everything since has been retrograde.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I think someday a corp will win DCI championship without winning a single caption. It's all in the math alignment.

Have to be a really close second on every sheet and have the sheet winners place 3rd or lower on other sheets to be a possibility 

53 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I think someday a corp will win DCI championship without winning a single caption. It's all in the math alignment.

As a professional accountant for 25 years... not likely.  They would have to finish 2nd in every caption, with the 1st place corps finishing 3rd or worse in others to balance it out.  The closest I remember to that happening was 2000.  Cadets were 2nd in every GE subcaption, every visual subcaption, but still won Brass, Ensemble, and Music overall.

There were years where Crown had the best visual and brass, but percussion was lagging in 5th or 6th.  Devils usually still took GE to win.  It's hard to lose GE and still win the title.

#### Jeff, I'm scared now!  :tic:

9 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

I taught a band that had it happen really close to that back in 99. We won one sheet out of 6. We were actually 6th on one and that was averaged with the one we won, and the average bailed us out. The 3rd place band won the music sheets by a combined .4 over us, but a combined .7 over the second place band.

no one was more surprised than us. The second place band beat us by 1.15 2 weeks before

Edited by Jeff Ream

5 hours ago, GBugler said:

It was my last Finals as a spectator. Haven't been back since. I agree, that was pretty much it. Everything since has been retrograde.

Was my *only* finals as a spectator. Yeah, I don't think I need to go back.  🙂

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

As a professional accountant for 25 years... not likely.  They would have to finish 2nd in every caption, with the 1st place corps finishing 3rd or worse in others to balance it out.  The closest I remember to that happening was 2000.  Cadets were 2nd in every GE subcaption, every visual subcaption, but still won Brass, Ensemble, and Music overall.

There were years where Crown had the best visual and brass, but percussion was lagging in 5th or 6th.  Devils usually still took GE to win.  It's hard to lose GE and still win the title.

According to the liner notes, Star in '91 tied in three separate captions, but didn't win any outright.

Mike

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MikeN said:

According to the liner notes, Star in '91 tied in three separate captions, but didn't win any outright.

Mike

Looking at the recap sheet I have in front of me, they beat Devils by .1 in Field brass and Vanguard by .1 in ensemble percussion, but they did tie Phantom for GE, Devils for Brass, Cavies and Vanguard in Percussion, and finished 3rd in Visual.  Amazingly, since we all remember the moving crosses at the end, Star was only 4th in Field Visual in '91.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

I taught a band that had it happen really close to that back in 99. We won one sheet out of 6. We were actually 6th one and that was averaged with the one we won, and the average bailed us out. The 3rd place band won the music sheets by a combined .4 over us, but a combined .7 over the second place band.

no one was more surprised than us. The second place band beat us by 1.15 2 weeks before

3 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

I meant we had essentially the same thought, expressed in the same words.  I almost :70_poop: my pants at the idea I was in your head!  :lol: