Visual Performance 2008

5 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

I meant we had essentially the same thought, expressed in the same words.  I almost :70_poop: my pants at the idea I was in your head!  :lol:

i almost lived it. actually come to think of it, when we won DCA by .1, we won percussion by 8 and tied in GE due to .4 spread in percussion GE. otherwise 2econd in all but two other subs, that were 3rd.

man the last half of the 90's were good to me while giving me heart attacks LOL

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I taught a band that had it happen really close to that back in 99. We won one sheet out of 6. We were actually 6th on one and that was averaged with the one we won, and the average bailed us out. The 3rd place band won the music sheets by a combined .4 over us, but a combined .7 over the second place band.

no one was more surprised than us. The second place band beat us by 1.15 2 weeks before

My HS band had a habit of sleepwalking through the first 6 weeks of the season, until the festival we hosted in early October.  My freshman year our brand new, right out of JSU and the Blue Devils 22 year old assistant director lost his mind at our run through Saturday morning.  He told us we were going to embarrass ourselves that night in front of 22 visiting bands.  Our show that night was probably 8 points better than our run through.  He couldn't understand.  The seniors told him "It doesn't really matter until we march out under the lights in front of all those other bands.  Now... it's on."

2 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

My HS band had a habit of sleepwalking through the first 6 weeks of the season, until the festival we hosted in early October.  My freshman year our brand new, right out of JSU and the Blue Devils 22 year old assistant director lost his mind at our run through Saturday morning.  He told us we were going to embarrass ourselves that night in front of 22 visiting bands.  Our show that night was probably 8 points better than our run through.  He couldn't understand.  The seniors told him "It doesn't really matter until we march out under the lights in front of all those other bands.  Now... it's on."

well in 99, the new director didn't start til July. we didn't have the ending on the field til night mentioned above where we lost to the second place band. it was definitely a 2 week mad house before Championships. they definitely peaked just at the right time!

On 4/17/2022 at 5:49 AM, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

That finals night will never be topped. The greatest season of drum corps of all time

As a BD honk, PR earned that title and I was so happy for them. 

In hindsight, that silver might have been the best thing. If BD wins in 2008, I don't know if they annihilate the competition like they did in 2009-2010. I think the silver in 08 motivated BD. 

Best thing about BD taking silver's, is the hornet's nest has been poked, and they are swinging for the fences the following year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

As a BD honk, PR earned that title and I was so happy for them. 

In hindsight, that silver might have been the best thing. If BD wins in 2008, I don't know if they annihilate the competition like they did in 2009-2010. I think the silver in 08 motivated BD. 

Best thing about BD taking silver's, is the hornet's nest has been poked, and they are swinging for the fences the following year. 

agreed. the most dangerous beast in DCI is BD a year after they silver medaled