Airfare impact on DCI 2022

I was just wondering how much impact airfares will have on the 2022 season.  Airfares have GREATLY increased since January; in some cases, double, triple, and even quadruple the fares of just months ago.  Yes, there are still some discounts offered, but not nearly as many.  Those who travel to audition camps and rehearsal camps have to be impacted.  I wonder if some corps will allow members who fly to simply show up at move-ins, which literally could save them not just hundreds, but perhaps thousands in airfare.  I am also wondering if this will impact spectators who travel to big shows and nationals via air, especially when people go to look for deals that just are not there.  Also, just "roughing it and drive" is no longer economical either, due to the huge increase in the cost of fuel.  I would be curious to know how many members who have had to withdraw due to the huge increase in costs to get to auditions/camps, not to mention added to the cost to march.

• Haha 1

Purchased my finals plane ticket in February & it was high then.  Haven't checked prices this month, but I had the perfect departure flight @7:30am.  That flight was canceled last month & they bumped me to the 5:15am departure.  (Thinking about just sleeping at the gate.)  Now there are news reports on a shortage of airline personnel.

🥱 (yawn) 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Confused 1

Round trip on Delta, Atlanta to Indy finals week I was able to cash in on a canceled ticket due to Covid two years ago. Had to pay $1.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Purchased my finals plane ticket in February & it was high then.  Haven't checked prices this month, but I had the perfect departure flight @7:30am.  That flight was canceled last month & they bumped me to the 5:15am departure.  (Thinking about just sleeping at the gate.)  Now there are news reports on a shortage of airline personnel.

🥱 (yawn) 

Did they cancel it for "weather" 4+ months ahead of time? The airlines are almost getting comical at this point in their flight cancelation shenanigan's. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Did they cancel it for "weather" 4+ months ahead of time? The airlines are almost getting comical at this point in their flight cancelation shenanigan's. 

Yup; they used accuweather's long range forecast. 😁  But no reason given but news reports point to staffing issues.  Delta even has a report on pilots being stretched thin & suffering from fatigue.   (I'm on a Delta flight.)  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Yup; they used accuweather's long range forecast. 😁  But no reason given but news reports point to staffing issues.  Delta even has a report on pilots being stretched thin & suffering from fatigue.   (I'm on a Delta flight.)  

I think the airlines should start predicting earthquakes since they clearly have a significant advantage over weather systems worldwide.

• Haha 1

Good question.

I canceled plans to attend DCI West at Stanford and DCI Southwest in San Antonio because the airfares were just too much. Stanford also involves a pricey car rental.

That said, I know bunches of students who seem to fly everywhere seemingly without concerns about cost. I'm sure that's exaggerated. But hey, it's DCP.

• Like 2

I bit the bullet for airfare from Midway to Philly for the nearly annual trip to Allentown in August 2022.

I headed to Allentown in August 2020 even though the season was kaput. I like visiting the area.

Southwest is honoring expired 2020 and 2021 drink coupons until the end of 2022, so that’s a tiny perk, too.

Car rental prices are still higher than I care for. I usually book cars thru Priceline as a Gold member.

I’ll rent cars for trips to Madison and Whitewater in July.

For Finals, I’ll grab a seat on Greyhound. Megabus no longer serves the Indy market.

airline costs are up yes. even worse is flights being cancelled left and right, even at the last minute