Airfare impact on DCI 2022

Airfare, gas, food, and all the cost of good to run a drum corps… literally everything… has gone up.

Every corps that wrote their budgets in the late summer/fall should have taken an eraser to them a few times already… and probably will a few times more over the summer. If your budget was tight in the fall/winter, it might be a no go right now. I hope people are smart enough to figure that out. The good ones with good finance committees will.

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 2

On 4/17/2022 at 10:08 AM, njthundrrd said:

Airfare, gas, food, and all the cost of good to run a drum corps… literally everything… has gone up.

Every corps that wrote their budgets in the late summer/fall should have taken an eraser to them a few times already… and probably will a few times more over the summer, if they were start. If your budget was tight in the fall/winter, it might be a no go right now. I hope people are smart enough to figure that out. The good ones with good finance committees will.

Yes... my guess however, all the Corps ( World Class Div ) scheduled to go out, will go out as they planned, and will complete their schedules as planned.  Most all WC Corps have " worst case " financial contingencies  in place before they go out. Any unexpected expenses incurred higher than expected during the season will likely be addressed after the season, imo.  Hope so anyway.

14 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Yes... my guess however, all the Corps ( World Class Div ) scheduled to go out, will go out as they planned, and will complete their schedules as planned.  Most all WC Corps have " worst case " financial contingencies  in place before they go out. Any unexpected expenses incurred higher than expected during the season will likely be addressed after the season, imo.  Hope so anyway.

To me this sounds like a bad idea.  Corps have folded using this approach.  For example, anyone here remember Magic in (I think 1999)?  Busses broke on tour, director used her personal credit card to pay bills until it was maxed-out.  The Corps was stuck for a few days - IIRC some Corps fed them a time or two as some busses were literally stuck & members aboard were without food.  A big mess all around.  So, no, don't address it after the season.  Live within your means.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

To me this sounds like a bad idea.  Corps have folded using this approach.  For example, anyone here remember Magic in (I think 1999)?  Busses broke on tour, director used her personal credit card to pay bills until it was maxed-out.  The Corps was stuck for a few days - IIRC some Corps fed them a time or two as some busses were literally stuck & members aboard were without food.  A big mess all around.  So, no, don't address it after the season.  Live within your means.

While true in a couple of isolated cases, over 95% of  DCI Corps that have folded, did not fold in season. They made it through their season, then looked at their financial situation in the offseason, then decided to throw in the towel. I'll stick with my prediction guess that every World Class Division Corps that sets out on tour this season, makes it through their season.

1 hour ago, Boss Anova said:

While true in a couple of isolated cases, over 95% of  DCI Corps that have folded, did not fold in season. They made it through their season, then looked at their financial situation in the offseason, then decided to throw in the towel. I'll stick with my prediction guess that every World Class Division Corps that sets out on tour this season, makes it through their season.

It's a valid point. We also have to figure that many of those corps in the 5% SHOULD have folded years before they actually did. You can only rob Peter to pay Paul for so long and I'm certain some corps fielded when they shouldn't have just to "keep the dream alive." 

19 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Trust me. Not "all" do.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

many corps will work on fundraising opportunities as well, but yes, with the financial requirements DCI has in place, reserves are needing to be in place just in case.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2022 at 12:50 PM, Boss Anova said:

There have been several corps who have had problems finishing the season. Certainly Esperanza, Magic, Legends, and Teal Sound, Suncoast Sound, and other corps who actually folded mid season, so it's more than a couple of isolated cases over the duration of DCI and a reason that DCI had started the practice of vetting corps before allowing them into particular divisions. You have to try and plan for extra expenses....

Many are addressing the increased costs for the operation of the corps.....certainly a significant concern......though I agree that the corps will figure out how to get through.  However, the impacts on individual members of the corps could be just as concerning.   If suddenly it costs a member double or triple what it cost not long ago just to get to rehearsal, that could be a "deal breaker" for kids who saved and planned for x amount of dollars to march, and suddenly it is much, much more......some simply might not be able to do it.  

22 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

many corps will work on fundraising opportunities as well, but yes, with the financial requirements DCI has in place, reserves are needing to be in place just in case.

Who does the audit though?