Airfare impact on DCI 2022

On 6/9/2022 at 1:33 PM, brassboy62 said:

I really wanted to go to Finals, this year. The plane fare is just too high. I really wish they would hold the finals somewhere else. Indianapolis is not really a vacation destination. 

Imagine what the airfare would be if Indy was a vacation destination... 

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Tim K said:

I enjoy going to the Indiana State Fair on the Wednesday I arrive and that’s about it for excitement in Indianapolis, but do people attending finals do a great deal of sightseeing? When finals was held in Foxboro I seem to remember at least some complaints of hotels not being located near the stadium, and the people I knew who traveled a distance did not make day trips to Boston, the Cape, Newport, or the coast of Maine, though they did discover the Wrentham Outlets, an outlet mall no different than any other outlet mall. I think most people who travel to finals usually fly in for the shows then go home.

Foxborough was a mess! We had a two hour drive from our housing site on the Cape, and remember when the terrible rural roads around the stadium destroyed Colts’ props?

Indy isn't a destination spot. But for DCI, it works well. I'm biased since it's just an hour drive. Still, I wouldn't want 2-3 days of championships at a place where I must always drive and park to and from the venue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

Foxborough was a mess! We had a two hour drive from our housing site on the Cape, and remember when the terrible rural roads around the stadium destroyed Colts’ props?

I can’t say I remember Colts props being ruined, but that’s not to say it did’t happen.  Since you mention props, it must have been 2005 because I don’t recall props in 1994, when finals was held in the old Foxboro Stadium. Gillette was a bit rushed in construction. The old stadium which wasn’t that old was a pit. In the days when you could not give Patriots tickets away, the place was always trashed. When the Patriots began winning, a new stadium was needed and the construction of the stadium, the soccer venue, shopping center and office buildings, hotel, etc, along with removal of the horse track and original stadium mean non stop construction. Personally I found 2005 better than 1994, but I  grew up two towns away from the stadium, so I knew how to avoid traffic nightmares. 

In some ways Foxboro is ideal for an event the size of finals. The town of Foxboro and the state police have an aging traffic down pat. There is ample parking though it is pricey. The major setback would still be hotels for people from out of town. The hotels are expensive and not walking distance to the stadium. Even your mid price and lower price chains are expensive. Motel 6 in Indy is $59 a night in August, in Framingham, MA outside of Boston, it’s $119. Holiday Inn Express, $164, $269 outside of Boston. You’d need to rent a car which would only add to the cost.

8 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I can’t say I remember Colts props being ruined, but that’s not to say it did’t happen.  Since you mention props, it must have been 2005 because I don’t recall props in 1994, when finals was held in the old Foxboro Stadium. Gillette was a bit rushed in construction. The old stadium which wasn’t that old was a pit. In the days when you could not give Patriots tickets away, the place was always trashed. When the Patriots began winning, a new stadium was needed and the construction of the stadium, the soccer venue, shopping center and office buildings, hotel, etc, along with removal of the horse track and original stadium mean non stop construction. Personally I found 2005 better than 1994, but I  grew up two towns away from the stadium, so I knew how to avoid traffic nightmares. 

In some ways Foxboro is ideal for an event the size of finals. The town of Foxboro and the state police have an aging traffic down pat. There is ample parking though it is pricey. The major setback would still be hotels for people from out of town. The hotels are expensive and not walking distance to the stadium. Even your mid price and lower price chains are expensive. Motel 6 in Indy is $59 a night in August, in Framingham, MA outside of Boston, it’s $119. Holiday Inn Express, $164, $269 outside of Boston. You’d need to rent a car which would only add to the cost.

The thing I remember from 94 is 27th Lancers 

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The thing I remember from 94 is 27th Lancers 

I remember it being hot and murky after so much rain during the week. 27th was the most memorable performance. “Once More in 94” is one of my favorite memories of drum corps, period. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Imagine what the airfare would be if Indy was a vacation destination... 

Actually, vacation destinations tend to have more competition/flight deals than other places....but even that is changing now.............I live in Florida near Orlando..........and "deals" can still be found, but there are far, far fewer cheap flights in and out.............

Pat Sajak:  You've won a fabulous trip to Indianapolis! Johnny, tell them about the trip.

Johnny: Well um.  you and a guest will have round trip airfare to Indianapolis where you'll... stay in a hotel.  I guess?

• Haha 4