Airfare impact on DCI 2022

27 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Pat Sajak:  You've won a fabulous trip to Indianapolis! Johnny, tell them about the trip.

Johnny: Well um.  you and a guest will have round trip airfare to Indianapolis where you'll... stay in a hotel.  I guess?

Ye olde joke alert:

“First place… a week in Indy”.

”Second place… two weeks in Indy”

• Haha 5

Airfares are high this summer because of super high demand, and record fuel prices. I booked my flight months ago and got a very low fare from Atlanta. Indy is the best place for finals--in the center of the country--domed stadium downtown--and DCI has a very good financial long-term deal. They would never get such a three night deal in Atlanta or Minneapolis. Indy it is! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phantom56 said:

Airfares are high this summer because of super high demand, and record fuel prices. I booked my flight months ago and got a very low fare from Atlanta. Indy is the best place for finals--in the center of the country--domed stadium downtown--and DCI has a very good financial long-term deal. They would never get such a three night deal in Atlanta or Minneapolis. Indy it is! 

Plus the Lucas Oil venue is probably the best indoor facility for sound especially using the custom curtains & seat covers.  I'd much rather be in Mecedes Benz for the SE Championships but the acoustics are horrible.  (Not going to the old baseball stadium this year.  Protest!) 

:grrr:

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

The tour is in a rut with regionals in same places every year, in the same order, with all roads ending in Indy.    Closest contest to me is 6-7 hr drive one-way.  For people in California, World Class is over by 10 July.   

I find it interesting that as Corps are less & less tied to a geographic location (BD in Wyoming for ST; Bluecoats in Indiana, BAC in Vermont, etc) that stops along the tour are more entrenched.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Further pontificating
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 11:32 AM, scheherazadesghost said:

I marched as an out-of-stater in the early otts and there's no way I could afford to march now. (I know...it's been said before many times.) We had a pretty sweet fundraising program that helped a lot, but the airfare alone would have knocked me out.

There's a lot that programs have done and should continue to do with virtual teaching and performance to help cut down on cost. One caveat: it's clear that the sooner marching members can be present, working together, the better. Our 03 and 04 drumlines were superheroes because many of them moved in together in January. It made an enormous difference. That's a bit extreme, but just to make my point.

No solutions here, only more curiosities.

I honestly do not know how so many kids are still doing the activity now.....paying nearly $5K, plus rapidly escalating costs to get to rehearsals/camps, whether by air or land.....and most are in college, and those costs are astronomical as well.........like you said, there's no way I could do it now......and many that I know could not have, either......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob984 said:

I honestly do not know how so many kids are still doing the activity now.....paying nearly $5K, plus rapidly escalating costs to get to rehearsals/camps, whether by air or land.....and most are in college, and those costs are astronomical as well.........like you said, there's no way I could do it now......and many that I know could not have, either......

My kid marched nine seasons.  Five in a Div II/III corps.  Little chance that happens now.  It’s not even that you can’t afford it, I’m not sure I could justify it anymore.  His last year in 2007, fees were $1500 plus whatever travel costs were.  Which weren’t bad because he was in Champaign/Urbana and the first and last corps were  in Madison.  Probably the most traveling was Southwind/Kentucky.  

I don't recall if others have already answered this: Is there good evidence that at these membership price points corps are not filling their ranks?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

I don't recall if others have already answered this: Is there good evidence that at these membership price points corps are not filling their ranks?

Twice on Facebook someone posted number of openings for all corps broken down by position. It wasn’t pretty but no idea of the reason or what the numbers would have been at this point in the past.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

No.  Of course, it depends on which corps... but a quick look at what corps fielded in 2019 demonstrates how many corps filled their ranks at about the same price points.

Whatever recruiting trouble corps are having in 2022 cannot be viewed as solely a pricing issue, given the additional economic pressures people face that were not present in 2019.  We also are still in a pandemic, technically... that may matter to some potential marchers or their families.

• Like 4

On 6/12/2022 at 7:15 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

The tour is in a rut with regionals in same places every year, in the same order, with all roads ending in Indy.    Closest contest to me is 6-7 hr drive one-way.  For people in California, World Class is over by 10 July.   

I find it interesting that as Corps are less & less tied to a geographic location (BD in Wyoming for ST; Bluecoats in Indiana, BAC in Vermont, etc) that stops along the tour are more entrenched.