Seattle Cascades

The demise of the importance of the entire Top 25 didn't help much, either. There was a time when placing 25th was a really big deal and something special. However, that was also time when there were a lot more corps than there are, now, and individuals wanted to be a part of a specific corps because they liked their style and identity as opposed to being a ring chaser. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, corps8294 said:

The demise of the importance of the entire Top 25 didn't help much, either. There was a time when placing 25th was a really big deal and something special. However, that was also time when there were a lot more corps than there are, now, and individuals wanted to be a part of a specific corps because they liked their style and identity as opposed to being a ring chaser. 

The days in question are in the distant past! It's not so much a measure of time, but a measure of circumstances.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

The days in question are in the distant past! It's not so much a measure of time, but a measure of circumstances.

Yep and not enough corps to have separate A-60 or other divisions. Things too expensive for many reasons to start a new group. Don’t even think Sound Sport is helping that.

• Like 3

Having read the statement posted by the Seattle Cascades leadership; I wouldn't put them in a coffin, yet. Let's see how this year pans out and what becomes of next year. With that being said, I think the drum corps activity, as a whole, is definitely fading. DCI used to be the example and influence of all the other forms of the performing marching arts; those years are gone. DCA is feeling it and, in some respects, so is BOA. WGI and indoor drumlines have become the standard and the most popular of all the performing marching arts. 
Poppycock also made a couple good points about time and circumstance. I'd also add cost. The activity has become too d**n expensive for what the members are getting in terms of the time experience. Some of us marched when the season was, almost, a full three months long with what was called a "first and second season" or a "first and second tour." From all indications; things are going to be getting any cheaper any time soon. Eventually, the activity is going to have to realize that either something has to give or corps by corps, year by year, the drum corps activity will fade away. Some will survive; but morph into something different and others will just join the ghosts and memory banks of those that have went away, already. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/29/2022 at 4:23 PM, corps8294 said:

They did make the Top 12, once. If I recall correctly; it was 2002. 

I saw them early in the season and thought aloud “that’s a finalist show”.  

People sitting around me looked at me like I was crazy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

Eventually, the activity is going to have to realize that either something has to give or corps by corps, year by year, the drum corps activity will fade away.

The touring model was never ever going to be a sustainable solution for the majority of organizations when it was first put in place as a prerequisite to perform in DCI sanctioned shows. Segregating organizations by size and/or age from performing in DCI sanctioned shows that were geographically where those other organizations were based was a poor decision too. Neither decision did anything to promote the activity as a whole. The one thing that has always been consistent over the last 50 years is that DCI member organizations is a all for one mindset. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Looking at the activity 50 years ago vs today, it occurs to me that the DCI 50th anniversary celebration is actually more of a wake. 😞

Don’t expect DCI to read the name of organizations that have participated over those years and no longer exist. Why! They couldn’t care less. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/29/2022 at 2:36 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Maybe it is time to bring back the modern equivalent of 'Class A-60'.

I marched in such a Corps - we used to say that we didn't need 90 additional players to back us up. 

the problem is they justify every increase in membership on how many bodies fit on a bus

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

The touring model was never ever going to be a sustainable solution for the majority of organizations when it was first put in place as a prerequisite to perform in DCI sanctioned shows. Segregating organizations by size and/or age from performing in DCI sanctioned shows that were geographically where those other organizations were based was a poor decision too. Neither decision did anything to promote the activity as a whole. The one thing that has always been consistent over the last 50 years is that DCI member organizations is a all for one mindset. 

well no DCI membership is an all for me first then everyone else mindset

• Thanks 1