Seattle Cascades

1 hour ago, fsthnds said:
  1. I thought that the number was raised to 60 just before covid hit. May have just been conversations about that but no official vote.

I thought the number was "officially" raised to 55.

In fact, after DCI enacted the rule "encorps" announced they would no longer be fielding a competitive corps.

There is a rumor that they may be trying to back in 2023.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, craiga said:

I think it is disingenuous to blame DCI's rule making for some corps' membership challenges this year.  There is no doubt that any corps who did not essentially exist for the past two years is at a disadvantage.   They are basically having to start from scratch.   Interestingly, the high school band which I have taught for the past 20 years was HALF its size last fall compared to 2019.  It was also the case with the other dozen or so bands in our circuit last fall, prompting 4 bands to merge into 2 just to field a show. Bottom line: the Marching arts need a couple seasons to rebuild.

i do think the change does have some effect. more spots in top corps means kids who might have gone somewhere else now won't be. it's not the entire reason, but it has to have had some affect

7 hours ago, fsthnds said:
  1. I thought that the number was raised to 60 just before covid hit. May have just been conversations about that but no official vote.

oh yeah it did raise. thanks!

I believe the raised minimums (one minimum for open class, a higher minimum for world class) pertain to corps that have to go through DCI evaluation. Current corps have been "grandfathered" unless, for some reason, a corps has been ordered to go through evaluation.As far as I know, the corps minimum of 30 is still the competitive minimum.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, traverbanking said:

I believe the raised minimums (one minimum for open class, a higher minimum for world class) pertain to corps that have to go through DCI evaluation. Current corps have been "grandfathered" unless, for some reason, a corps has been ordered to go through evaluation.As far as I know, the corps minimum of 30 is still the competitive minimum.

That is not what the DCI policy says.  It is published on DCI.org.  On page 78 of their Policies and Procedures manual, it states that open class corps must have at least 50 members.  Next page states that any corps seeking to move up to open class must have 55 or more members.

On page 46:

Each corps must have a minimum membership as defined in the DCI Rules Manual, Contest Rules and Regulations, 1.0 Eligibility, 1.3.2 Corps Membership for Open Class

Has a DCI Rules Congress voted a change from '30' to '50'?

On 5/12/2022 at 5:27 PM, RetiredMusTeach said:

Even the blue label OC corps like BDB, Vanguard Cadets, Legends, Spartans?

The first two are the only ones that aren't hurting as far as I can tell

• Sad 1

On 5/4/2022 at 4:22 PM, Terri Schehr said:

Well, I’m showing up.  I didn’t know I had criteria to meet.  I actually marched in the first DCI.  I’m as entitled to be there as anyone. 

I will be there. My excitement grows everyday.

On 5/9/2022 at 6:06 PM, ironlips said:

That staff roster is chock full of A-Listers. It's unfortunate that performers will not get to experience that level of instruction.

On 5/9/2022 at 2:55 PM, CorpsDrum2011 said:

What is sad is as a current (now unemployed) 2022 staff member, the corps director resigned and didn't even let the staff know prior to the announcement. Had to find out from a different staff member. Went to the website and the corps director is no longer listed. No respect!!! Was looking forward to the tour. 

https://www.seattlecascades.org/staff

It's not the staff that are the problem.  Corps can have incredible staff and still be dysfunctional - the entire machine has to have all the cogs greased and running efficiently.  This corps has struggled in this area for years.  Until this gets fixed, it will continue to struggle.  It's unfortunate, but true.

• Like 2