Seattle Cascades

The Cascades have had financials issues for years. Hopefully, they can find financial help in the coming years. Meanwhile, the West Coast, especially California, is in terrific shape. California alone is now fielding 12 corps--add the Academy, Cascades and Columbians and you've got 15 West Coast corps. 

1 hour ago, Phantom56 said:

California, is in terrific shape. California alone is now fielding 12 corps--add the Academy, Cascades and Columbians and you've got 15 West Coast corps. 

If we are counting non World Class Division Corps with this ( ala, Columbians above .. Open Class ),  East Coast is not too shabby though in comparison with 11 current DCI Corps. DCA competition Drum Corps ( not seen on the West Coast anymore ) have an additional 15 currently on the East Coast, making the total 26 ( not counting Ohio based Corps either ). These numbers are nothing to brag about on either coast however... given what the numbers of competition Drum Corps used to be BITD.

1 hour ago, Boss Anova said:

If we are counting non World Class Division Corps with this ( ala, Columbians above .. Open Class ),  East Coast is not too shabby though in comparison with 11 current DCI Corps. DCA competition Drum Corps ( not seen on the West Coast anymore ) have an additional 15 currently on the East Coast, making the total 26 ( not counting Ohio based Corps either ). These numbers are nothing to brag about on either coast however... given what the numbers of competition Drum Corps used to be BITD.

for DCA i'd say East coast, south and Ohio

20 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

What pessimism and negativity! I hope none of you predicting the demise of DCI, will show up at the fabulous 50th celebration, that 18,000 of us will be cheering on. 

Although I don't for one second expect DCI to acknowledge it, 2022 is more of a wake than a celebration.  Consider the Corps the activity has lost over the years - here is a list of just DCI finalists that are no longer with us:

Anaheim Kingsmen

27th Lancers

Argonne Rebels

Des Plaines Vanguard

Kilties

Muchachos

Bleu Raiders

Bridgemen

Belleville Black Knights

Stockton Commodores 

De LaSalle Oaklands

Purple Lancers

Royal Crusaders

Oakland crusaders

Seneca Optimists

Sacramento Freelancers

Guardsmen

North Star

Sky Ryders

Suncoast Sound

Star of Indiana

Velvet Knights

Dutch Boy

Glassmen

Magic of Orlando

I have intentionally left Seattle Cascades & Spirit of Atlanta off this list as it is TBD if they will be active in 2023.

2022 isn't a celebration - as I said - 2022 is a wake.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Better data
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

What pessimism and negativity! I hope none of you predicting the demise of DCI, will show up at the fabulous 50th celebration, that 18,000 of us will be cheering on. 

Well, I’m showing up.  I didn’t know I had criteria to meet.  I actually marched in the first DCI.  I’m as entitled to be there as anyone. 

• Like 4

On 5/1/2022 at 2:16 PM, Poppycock said:

Don’t expect DCI to read the name of organizations that have participated over those years and no longer exist. Why! They couldn’t care less. 

They should acknowledge all of the finalist corps of the last fifty years at the very least with video presentations.  They’ve had plenty of time to assemble video from their library as last year was a shortened non-competitive season. 

• Like 4