THE CADETS 2022 SHOW

1 hour ago, inbetween said:

I swear I only see people complaining about narration when The Cadets do it. (yes this is a hasty generalization) 

I can handle some, by any corps, as long as it's done in reasonable moderation. Just don't overload me with a story. Throwing a prolonged narration at me along with a show theme I'm already confused over is a little much for this feeble old mind. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jmc5682 said:

I am a bit skeptical of this show concept due to the mention of syncopated narration included in the production to represent beat poetry.  In the past, the Cadets' shows that included narration tended to take me out of the flow of the shows which was a shame because each show that contained what I considered excessive narration was also filled with excellent Cadets' staples like terrific drill, wonderful brass and percussion lines, and of course their always expected wonderful, innovative guards.  I honestly believe that the refusal to remove, or at least reduce or rework the narration in 2007 cost them the Gold Medal to the Blue Devils.  I did enjoy BD's "Bat Wing" show that year, but I thought the Cadets had the more talented corps and might have had the superior Finals show and score if their former director would have just made some of the changes suggested regarding the narration.  I realize these are just my opinions, and many other people feel differently. Still, the 2007 Cadets were overall a superb drum corp.  I still go back and watch their performances with awe considering the demands of that show they were able to master, as well as the class and dignity the members who marched displayed in the face of some less than respectful crowds they were subjected to their final week or so in California, including some very vocal disrespectful individuals at the Rose Bowl Stadium Finals night.

Narration has been done by so many corps since like 2007. It's been over 15 years. Get over it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Narration has been done by so many corps since like 2007. It's been over 15 years. Get over it. 

Yowza!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

People groaned about the 2014 show but that kid could narrate really really really well.  It was the tarps at finals that killed that show for me. 

One of the best "revise and perfect the narration over the season" efforts I've seen was "...A Shot Rang Out" by the Colts.  Early on it was was way too heavy on narration and how they cut it back was changed a bilion times. By finals though it was a fun show with three possible endings.   

poor Trixie. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, inbetween said:

I swear I only see people complaining about narration when The Cadets do it. (yes this is a hasty generalization) 

You have to admit that they have had some of the most cringe-worthy of all time.

4 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

55 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Yowza!

That came off way too crass. My apologies to the poster to whom I was responding. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, inbetween said:

I’m not so sure about that though Cadets have taken it on the chin regarding narration.  The most complaints about narration I recall were about Blue Devils and “Cabaret Voltaire” (Dada). However that could have been due to folks hoping it would be Crown’s year and BD having an undefeated season with a not so popular show.  I can’t believe that’s ten years ago now.

When it comes to narration, it probably depends on how much you like the show. I really enjoyed Cadets in 2014 and while I am not a huge fan of narration, I enjoyed it  for that show. However I am also a big history buff and loved the musical selections. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

They’re still smarting from 2008 and the Sally Jesse Raphael show. 

I thought it was Terry Gross on NPR. 

5 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

People groaned about the 2014 show but that kid could narrate really really really well.  It was the tarps at finals that killed that show for me. 

One of the best "revise and perfect the narration over the season" efforts I've seen was "...A Shot Rang Out" by the Colts.  Early on it was was way too heavy on narration and how they cut it back was changed a bilion times. By finals though it was a fun show with three possible endings.   

poor Trixie. 

The cheese factor on Finals week was cringeworthy, but my biggest complaint was I couldn’t see the drill with that 20 yard stage.