THE CADETS 2022 SHOW

On 6/26/2022 at 1:00 AM, George Dixon said:

poignant is the word I’d use to describe it - think 1995 with poet narration and more body

I guess there are no videos huh? 

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

just be in the secret facebook pages lol

They're not there either unfortunately lol....

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I don't think so, the community run through was on a soccer field, with a slope on one side, people brought lawn chairs and blankets -- So no one was getting a bird's eye view; the sun was also setting behind the Cadets so videoing it wasn't feasible.

The event was well attended, the program included a standstill of the show and then a full run. Ron and Denise gave short welcome speeches ahead of time, and presented thank you plaques to the sports facility owner (who gave his own GLOWING comments) -- they seem intent on making this a long-term partner for Cadets) - it is a fantastic facility for the corps -- multiple outdoor and indoor turf/grass fields. dorms, kitchens, and what amounts to a small park w/ go kart track, climbing areas, batting cages, beach volleyball, miniature golf. 

It was all very professional and impressive; and the Cadets looked, sounded and importantly, acted like CADETS.

Great. But how was the show though? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Great. But how was the show though? 

A surprise. I love it, others may not. They sound and move like Cadets. The guard is massive. Corps is 165 - big brass line too. Some amazing features, small ensembles and soloists.

The general vibe of the show is VERY 1995.

But add in more park and blow, way more acting/body movement.  The role playing extends into the pit, watch for it at the start

But similar to 95 in many ways - props all over the field, a wicked fast opener (200bpm) and frenetic closer, moving ballad (very, staging is excellent). The corps/guard interact with jazz club props & chairs during the jazz part 2.

The poet/narrator may be divisive, but I found it highly effective (and I generally HATE narration). It's very well done.

The ballad ends in the far side 1 corner of the field, it's terrific moment

As far as drill it climaxes in the closer with a lot of speed and a wall to wall "surprise" curved company front - which quickly collapses down to a box on the 50 in the front and the show seems over. The poet/narration then talks about how it's ok to "look back" but you can never stop moving forward - you've got to go, and keep on going - and the box quickly unfolds until a straight company front and pushes forward - as if the Cadets are saying "we agree" - I get the feeling an add-on is planned here for mid-season?

and yes, you get the big Bocook brass run, plus bass drum solo, tenor solo, snare features etc... Lots of runs and effects in the pit

Expect a surprise in the uniform, and yes, the traditional M&G are still around. Just not for the show (parades?) - we saw them in shorts/t-shirts on Saturday

The Cadets are back, but younger. This corps has some excellent individuals, but it's younger than the corps was in say 2000-2015... Right now, they're struggling with their feet - not unexpected given the youth. They'll compete for 7th imo

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 8

25 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

A surprise. I love it, others may not. They sound and move like Cadets. The guard is massive. Corps is 165 - big brass line too. Some amazing features, small ensembles and soloists.

But add in more park and blow, way more acting/body movement.  The role playing extends into the pit, watch for it.

But similar to 95 in many ways - props all over the field, a wicked fast opener (200bpm) and frenetic closer, moving ballad (very, staging is excellent). The corps/guard interact with jazz club props & chairs during the jazz part 2.

The poet/narrator may be divisive, but I found it highly effective (and I generally HATE narration). It's very well done.

As far as drill it climaxes in the closer with a lot of speed and a wall to wall "surprise" curved company front - which quickly collapses down to a box on the 50 in the front and the show seems over. The poet/narration then talks about how it's ok to "look back" but you can never stop moving forward - you've got to go, and keep on going - and the box quickly unfolds until a straight company front and pushes forward - as if the Cadets are saying "we agree" - I get the feeling an add-on is planned here for mid-season?

and yes, you get the big Bocook brass run, plus bass drum solo, tenor solo, snare features etc... Lots of runs and effects in the pit

Expect a surprise in the uniform, and yes, the traditional M&G are still around. Just not for the show (parades?) - we saw them in shorts/t-shirts on Saturday

The Cadets are back, but younger. This corps has some excellent individuals, but it's younger than the corps was in say 2000-2015... Right now, they're struggling with their feet - not unexpected given the youth. They'll compete for 7th imo

Appreciate the feedback. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

But add in more park and blow, way more acting/body movement.  The role playing extends into the pit, watch for it.

Is it live narration or voiceover narration? If it’s live, is it similar to 2014? 

47 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I liked 1995 so it sounds good to me.  

• Like 3