THE CADETS 2022 SHOW

On 7/16/2022 at 9:04 PM, Cadet Guardy said:

🙄 pretty sure GE is more of a concern right now - Blue Stars are much more visually impactful. Btw - the guard hasn’t been this good in 3 years.

Pretty sure, Cadets drill is a million times more impactful than Blue Stars, but BS' guard is awesome too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Cadets aren't done, with the closer in particular.

Oh I know, no shows are done yet. I was just saying generally that when assessing any show for GE, simplifying the concept of GE simply to moments that “wow” you will likely lead to frustration with the judging system as that does not seem to be the way the judges define it

5 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Cadets aren't done, with the closer in particular.

I say that every time i see their ending, "oh a second company front ending.  how many times have we seen an early season second company front ending be swapped out for some absurd drill by the end of the season?"

I can't wait. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I say that every time i see their ending, "oh a second company front ending.  how many times have we seen an early season second company front ending be swapped out for some absurd drill by the end of the season?"

I can't wait. 

Z...........😁

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Oh I know, no shows are done yet. I was just saying generally that when assessing any show for GE, simplifying the concept of GE simply to moments that “wow” you will likely lead to frustration with the judging system as that does not seem to be the way the judges define it

This is very true. For years in the 1980s and 90s the Madison Scouts had no problem connecting with the audience. Their GE scores were generally very good, but very seldom high enough to allow them to contend. People often brought the subject up on RAMD and I can remember many arguments over what GE should be. 

In general when people discuss GE they are thinking about the WOW moments, the applause points, etc. But GE is much more than that. GE can be when the show connects in a logical way through visual and music. It can be the logical flow of drill and music and how they relate to theme, story, or concept. The Bluecoats 2014 "Tilt" show is a perfect example of the later.  It can be an "ooh" and "aah" kind of moment or a subtle visual or musical element in the show, perhaps even a recurring visual idea or music motif.

GE judges are also looking for the clarity of the visual and musical elements. Where is the focus? Is the show cluttered? Do the elements make sense? And on and on. 

It is very subjective as many have noted on DCP, but there are objective points to be made in GE. If I said that the Blue Devils GE is way more focused with more clarity in the connection between music and visual than just about any corps out there, well that is not a subjective statement. I think it is a fact. Some can argue. That's fine. What I am not saying is that BD's show is more enjoyable than the other corps, because that is an opinion that can only be made by the individual fan. But when it comes to focusing the audience and aligning all the elements of the show so that it flows from A - Z, BD has the most focused show that also has the highest level of clarity in the connections being made between visual and audio. Whatever effect they are trying to project tends to be done with clarity, great focus, cleanliness, and style of presentation. 

Sorry for the long-winded post. Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents on GE. I realize you have a good understanding of GE too, as do most on DCP. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Z...........😁

Heh it told dad on my first watch. "That second front will end in a z pull by august."  

I'm more interested what they'll do to build to it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedUnit said:

Well, the first front is already a "Circle-pull"...

Right.  I caught that too.  The first time I looked, it almost looked like they made the Cadets logo then pulled it to the front. Do they?  I've not had a good read of that section in a while.  

I personally do not mind the 2 company fronts at the end of Cadets show. They should focus on cleaning if anything. There is plenty to clean with the visual program. I am not sure they need to put a new ending in just yet. If they do then that is fine, but I like the drill as it is and would prefer they work on cleaning to a T. Same with music. The show has a ton of nice effects and fantastic use of the field. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

I can't wait. 

3 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Heh it told dad on my first watch. "That second front will end in a z pull by august."  

I'm more interested what they'll do to build to it.

Yep.  Why else have the Kerouac narrator quote "On The Road" before the final push?

"We gotta go and never stop going 'till we get there, man.'' 

Maybe to honor the DCI 50th Anniversary, perhaps some sort of "Vectors" drill ending in a Z-Pull?

Edited by ykw