THE CADETS 2022 SHOW

8 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Narration has been done by so many corps since like 2007. It's been over 15 years. Get over it. 

There have been only two shows that I have witnessed that I felt contained way too much narration.  Both of these shows happen to be productions done by the Cadets.  There are also shows that have had narration that I loved.  The 2014 Blue Knights show "That One Second" is a wonderful example of how narration can enhance a show and truly make it special.

These are just my thoughts or opinions.  There is no reason to get snarky just because your opinions differ from mine.  

• Like 6

12 hours ago, jmc5682 said:

I am a bit skeptical of this show concept due to the mention of syncopated narration included in the production to represent beat poetry.  In the past, the Cadets' shows that included narration tended to take me out of the flow of the shows which was a shame because each show that contained what I considered excessive narration was also filled with excellent Cadets' staples like terrific drill, wonderful brass and percussion lines, and of course their always expected wonderful, innovative guards.  I honestly believe that the refusal to remove, or at least reduce or rework the narration in 2007 cost them the Gold Medal to the Blue Devils.  I did enjoy BD's "Bat Wing" show that year, but I thought the Cadets had the more talented corps and might have had the superior Finals show and score if their former director would have just made some of the changes suggested regarding the narration.  I realize these are just my opinions, and many other people feel differently. Still, the 2007 Cadets were overall a superb drum corp.  I still go back and watch their performances with awe considering the demands of that show they were able to master, as well as the class and dignity the members who marched displayed in the face of some less than respectful crowds they were subjected to their final week or so in California, including some very vocal disrespectful individuals at the Rose Bowl Stadium Finals night.

overall design choices now actually in the staffs hands now, so you should see a change

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

overall design choices now actually in the staffs hands now, so you should see a change

I am excited to see the Cadets show this year.  I am glad their talented staff will be able to do their work without having to deal with their former director.  I am a fan of the Cadets.  I was there when they won their first title in 83 (with Freelancers) and I was just in awe of their whole corps.  We had never seen a corps like that before.  They were like gods to this then 16 year old kid.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 6:06 PM, 2000Cadet said:

That came off way too crass. My apologies to the poster to whom I was responding. 

On 5/12/2022 at 11:47 PM, jmc5682 said:

There have been only two shows that I have witnessed that I felt contained way too much narration.  Both of these shows happen to be productions done by the Cadets.  There are also shows that have had narration that I loved.  The 2014 Blue Knights show "That One Second" is a wonderful example of how narration can enhance a show and truly make it special.

These are just my thoughts or opinions.  There is no reason to get snarky just because your opinions differ from mine.  

Read the response above. Calm down. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

Read the response above. Calm down. 

Apparently you have trouble commenting without being a jerk.  I was never riled up to need to calm down.  Your undying love for the Cadets and every show they have ever done clouds your ability to listen to any sort of criticism in their regard.  Just ignore my comments.  I do not want to upset you.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jmc5682 said:

Apparently you have trouble commenting without being a jerk.  I was never riled up to need to calm down.  Your undying love for the Cadets and every show they have ever done clouds your ability to listen to any sort of criticism in their regard.  Just ignore my comments.  I do not want to upset you.

I apologized but if you wanna keep being a baby about it, so be it. I probably could have delivered my comments a little more tastefully, but the essence of them still stand. Take it or leave it. I don't know you to get upset by you but apparently anything with words seem to upset you. You can ignore my comments as well. I really do not care. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 11:47 PM, jmc5682 said:

100% on the BK show.  Very effective.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I apologized but if you wanna keep being a baby about it, so be it. I probably could have delivered my comments a little more tastefully, but the essence of them still stand. Take it or leave it. I don't know you to get upset by you but apparently anything with words seem to upset you. You can ignore my comments as well. I really do not care. 

Gentlemen-you-cant-fight-in-here-This-is

• Haha 6

14 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

100% on the BK show.  Very effective.

so under rated

• Like 2

On 5/12/2022 at 6:28 PM, Tim K said:

I’m not so sure about that though Cadets have taken it on the chin regarding narration.  The most complaints about narration I recall were about Blue Devils and “Cabaret Voltaire” (Dada). However that could have been due to folks hoping it would be Crown’s year and BD having an undefeated season with a not so popular show.  I can’t believe that’s ten years ago now.

When it comes to narration, it probably depends on how much you like the show. I really enjoyed Cadets in 2014 and while I am not a huge fan of narration, I enjoyed it  for that show. However I am also a big history buff and loved the musical selections. 

The 2014 show was wonderful in the early stages. One heck of a corps, too. They were running 2nd place all summer. They were actually undefeated against all competitors except for BD until Finals night, and then Bluecoats nabbed them. The music book is wonderful. Bocook did a fabulous job. I loved the idea of the sort of "Hall of Presidents" idea. The show was more stately in the early part of the summer. What hurt them was all the cheese that found its way into the show in the last 2 or 3 weeks. The pit became overbearing with bass, the big ramp and stage up front never got utilized well enough and it hindered the ability to bring the corps more forward at the end, and then the tarps and the over bearing, overt patriotic symbolism that was not needed in the show killed it. Too bad, because I do love many moments from the show and the music charts are great. They marched their tootsies off too that summer. I remember seeing them live on at least 2 occasions and being just mesmerized by the synchronicity of their legs. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1